Come here VS Come over

cicciosa

Italian
Hi everybody,
I had always thought that you say "Come here" if you want that someone comes to your place or physically close to you. But now (in Yorkshire) I often hear "Come over".
Could you help to understand the differences of these two expressions?

Thanks,
cicciosa

• Matching Mole

England, English
    "Over" following verbs like "come" originally referred to crossing a surface (it's this "surface" that you have come over); e.g. the sea, a street. It's now used additionally to mean covering any distance, however general or short. Literally, I suppose you could interpret as "please cross the distance between where you are now and where I am". "Come here" emphasizes the target location, "here", rather than the intervening space, however, both phrases anticipate the completion of a journey.

Possibly, "come over" might be considered as an abbreviation of "come over here", as "here" (or the named location of the speaker) is essential to the meaning.

baker589

English - England
    Come here is normally used when you are near to someone, but you want them to come to you, so you can talk without shouting or show them something.

Come over is often used when you are inviting someone round to your house eg. do you want to come over tomorrow?

Matching Mole's suggestions are equally valid.

< Previous | Next >