come home to

< Previous | Next >

irene.acler

Italiano
Hello everybody :)

I have the description of a hotel:

XXX designed a façade, public spaces and guest rooms that will appeal to the on-the-go world traveler who is coming to New York for a short stay to be in the middle of all the activity, and wants a new, tech-savvy, vibrant hotel to come home to.

I don't quite understand the expression "to come home to" in this context. Could please explain me the meaning?

Thank you very much!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "to come home to a" is heavily used in the advertising and publicity industries.

"Come home to a real fire!" (by the Coal Marketing Board)
    "Come home to a real apple pie!" (by the Apple Pie Marketing Board)
    "Come home to a cup of coffee!" (by the Coffee Marketing Board)
    "Come home to a real deep pile carpet!" (by the Deep Pile Carpet Marketing Board)

ad nauseam...

"to come home to a" is suppsed to evoke the idea of someone having worked hard and long, travelled home in rain and snow, and then enter his house where the <insert product> relaxes him completely, his family is perfect, there are no problems and everything is right with the world only because he bought the product.

It is also used by the news media,
    "The troops came home to a heroes' welcome.",
    "The Prime Minister came home to calls for his resignation."

Here it means "to their home country."

irene.acler

Italiano
    Ok, I understand (I think!). So in my sentence does it mean something like "the traveller wants a vibrant, new, technological etc. hotel to feel as if he/she were at home"?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Remember that in the original quote, the ad refers to a traveler who is coming to the city because of all the "activity". Presumably this traveler will spend the days during his or her stay engaging in various activities, whether business or entertainment or both. I think there is also the idea, here, of coming "home" at the end of a busy day.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    JD's narration: Now that I was dating Elliot again I finally had something to get home to.

Source: Scrubs 806
    Background: JD and Elliot were back together again after several years since the devastating breakup. When JD narrated this line, it showed him entering his house where Elliot was baking cookies for him.

Hi, I just want to make sure if "get home to" in this case means the same thing as what we have been discussing in this thread.

duvija

Spanish - Uruguay
    Background: JD and Elliot were back together again after several years since the devastating breakup. When JD narrated this line, it showed him entering his house where Elliot was baking cookies for him.

Hi, I just want to make sure if "get home to" in this case means the same thing as what we have been discussing in this thread.
    Yes, it's the same (wait for a native).

< Previous | Next >