come in for some rough treatment

NewAmerica

Mandarin
I don't get "for some rough treatment" here. Does it mean "because of some poor consideration and examination (of the Descares' dualism)"?

Thanks in advance

As science has turned its reifying light upon the mysteries of the human mind, however, Descartes' dualism (along with our own "folk psychology") has come in for some rough treatment. Bolstered by the undeniable successes of three centuries of purely physical research, many philosophers and scientists now reject Descartes' separation of mind and body, spirit and matter, as the concession to Christian piety that it surely was, and imagine that they have thereby erased the conceptual gulf between consciousness and the physical world.

-Sam Harris' The End of Faith

• NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you. :) I think I've got it:

come in for

PHRASAL VERB If someone or something comes in for criticism or blame, they receive it.

• The plans have already come in for fierce criticism. (Collins Dictionary)

Note: I've not edited out the original confusion I got in the following posts, which would serve as the process of learning English idioms.

People have been doubtful/critical of Decartes's dualism.
    What? Among doubts and criticism the Descartes' dualism enters the stage?

Last edited:

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I have no idea what you mean. :)
    See the author's sentence:

Descartes' dualism has come in for some rough treatment
    And you explained "for some rough treatment" as:

People have been doubtful/critical of Decartes's dualism.
    So "doubts and criticism" were made by the people against Descartes' dualism.

And so I commented:

Among doubts and criticism the Descartes' dualism enters the stage/has come in

< Previous | Next >