come into the fold

morinaga_girl

Japanese
Hello everyone, please teach me...

When someone said "Before I came into the fold, I sinned",
is it possible that this "come into the fold" means "get married"?
Speaker is married christian woman and she is confessing that
her hasband is not the only one with whom she had slept.

Thanks in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    That woman's remark should mean "I sinned before I joined the church", morinaga_girl. I can't see any way for "come into the fold" to mean "get married".

morinaga_girl

Japanese
    owlma5, se16teddy,

Thanks for your reply!

That means, she was not christian when she was child...?
    I mean, she (a woman in american drama "GCB") is grown up in christian environs,
    so I imagined she was always be with god... But maybe she is talking about before baptism?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. There really isn't enough information in this sentence for me to know what type of sin the woman is talking about: Before I came into the fold, I sinned. Teddy thinks that "before I came into the fold" might mean "before I became a Christian." That seems reasonable to me.

You have mentioned that the woman said that she slept with men who were not her husband. That might be the "sin" that she is talking about, but I'm not sure.

I have no idea when the woman joined that church or became a Christian.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    owlma5, se16teddy,

Thanks for your reply!

That means, she was not christian when she was child...?
    I mean, she (a woman in american drama "GCB") is grown up in christian environs,
    so I imagined she was always be with god... But maybe she is talking about before baptism?
    It's hard to tell without more context (I have never seen "GCB" - sorry) but there's being raised in a specific religion and then there's trying to live one's life according to that religion's precepts. These are not the same thing. By referring to her earlier life as "sin" and her life now as being in "the fold," she is indicating a clear difference between the way she used to practice her religion and the way she practices it now. Whatever she may have believed when she was younger, she has changed now and she is in "the fold." She may have been a Christian when she was younger, but she obviously thinks that her life then wasn't the life she ought to lead.

morinaga_girl

Japanese
    Owlman5,

Thanks again!

I think her sin was the fact that she know ohter men than her husband.

>"before I came into the fold" might mean "before I became a Christian." That seems reasonable to me.

OK & thanks! I'm happy what american native speaker think about the sentences.

morinaga_girl

Japanese
    JustKate,

Thank you for your reply!

>but she obviously thinks that her life then wasn't the life she ought to lead.

It makes sense... Thanks again!
    I'm happy what american native speaker think about the sentences.

A90Six

England - English.
    "Before I came into the fold" may also mean that, while she was always a Christian (she may have been born into it), she was not a very strong believer to begin with. As time went by she became far more religious and so joined the fold.

< Previous | Next >