Come July.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree, of course, that it's correct: come.

I think the "come" though is different in for example
    1) "come what may" vs.
    2) "come Sunday"

For 1), I would say "whatever may come ...", a form of subjunctive
    For 2) When Sunday comes, not really subjunctive

Hmmm ... sorry for thinking out loud (well, typing out loud).

das brennende Gespenst

Australisches Englisch
    For 1), I would say "whatever may come ...", a form of subjunctive
    No, that's a modal verb plus an infinitive. The subjunctive is an old verbal mood that has all but disappeared from English.

The past subjunctive is now only found in the verb "be" when we are talking about a hypothetical situation (where "were" appears instead of the expected "was"), and it's fast falling out of use (If I were rich ... I wish I were taller ...).

The present subjunctive is identical in form to the infinitive and survives in a few set phrases (till death do us part ... if need be ... Heaven forbid) as well as in a few cases such as with the word "recommend" (I recommend you be quiet ... it is essential that every child have access to a computer ... ).

We often use may to fulfil the role that the subjunctive once had, but it is not subjunctive (although modal verbs may, etymologically derive a long way back from subjunctives). Set phrases that still have the subjunctive, such as Long live the Queen and God bless you may also be paraphrased with may - May the Queen live long - May God bless you.

< Previous | Next >