come out of the box

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from If two people are of the same mind, their sharpness can cut through metal

Quotation: "Americans elected the one man they believed could do it," she said. "And, Speaker Ryan, you come in will all your swagger and experience and sell him a bill of goods which ends up a complete and total failure."

"You allow our president in his first 100 days to come out of the box like that, based on what? Your legislative experience, your knowledge of the arcane ins-and-outs of the bill-writing process?...
===
Hi everyone! Does the bold part mean "to come up with strange ideas"?

My reference: out of the box
Thinking "out of the box" or "beyond the box" is a trendy expression meaning to be daring or original in solving problems. To escape old "paradigms" and push beyond the old "parameters." Similar to "pushing the envelope."

It means coming up with original, unconventional or custom-tailored ideas, the kind you don't just buy "off the shelf" and take out of the box, ready-made for use.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I think in this sentence the meaning is similar to "come out of the gate", meaning to start a race. This is the start of his 4-year presidency.

I am familiar with the "outside the box thinking" idea, but I've never heard it used with the verb "come out".

< Previous | Next >