''Come to an end'' or another related expression

< Previous | Next >
I already know the expression "come to an end" but there are two contexts where I'd like to know if "come to an end" is idiomatic/common. If not, what would suggest? Please take a look.

Come to an end definition: finish, end, stop happening.

Context 1:

"Bill, you are annoying your sister all the time, missing class and, on top of that, you're lying to us. It(= period of misbehavior) has to come to an end.''

Context 2:

"Donna, our contry doesn't offer the people what they need in order to have a comfortable life - there's corruption and too much poverty. I really wish it(= this whole situation) would come to an end.''

Thank you in advance!

• baldpate

UK, English
    So, if it's not uncommon it means it sounds idiomatic in the context above?
    I don't think so.

In Context 1, the phrase sounds unnatural. The speaker is obviously annoyed. The natural verb to use would be "stop" : "It's gotta stop"/"It's got to stop"/"This has to stop"/... etc
    PS: I don't understand "It" to refer to the "period of misbehaviour" but to the "misbehaviour" itself : I can't imagine using it myself in this circumstance - it is grammatically correct, but sounds very strange.

In Context 2, the phrase sounds OK: but it isn't particularly idiomatic, merely grammatically correct and natural in the context.

< Previous | Next >