come to try and break through the system

palabra86

Spanish
Is it written correctly? come to try and break through the system (hacking)

The war between hackers and programmers escalates and becomes an official competition. I saw that there is a kind of cyber challenge, and whoever wins it, gets 100,000$. We, of course, suggested that everyone come to try and break through the system, but we said in advance that the system can not be hacked.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is it written correctly? come to try and break through the system (hacking)
    This may help.

“Purists who carp about grammatical solecisms such as ‘try and find’ instead of ‘try to find’ should refer to a 2007 study which found that Brits use ‘try and’ 71 per cent of the time in speech and 24 per cent in writing, compared with Americans who used it only 24 per cent of the time in speech and 5 per cent in writing.”​
    Michael Skapinker; The Language of Shakespeare: American English is Truer to Tradition Than the British Like to Think; Financial Times (London, UK); Mar 24, 2018.

(The mistake is in the next paragraph - 100,000$:cross:: it should be $100,000.)

Chasint

English - England
    We, of course, suggested that everyone come to try and break through the system,
    As PaulQ says. This use of 'and' is British. (nothing wrong with that!) I am surprised however that hackers and programmers need to 'come' to a place to do this. Maybe they did though.

If they had done this from their home location, you could simply say, "We, of course, suggested that everyone try to break through the system"

For me and for other Brits, your sentence is perfectly correct. I can't speak for other nations.

< Previous | Next >