comer con los ojos

agentbrocoli

Spain, Spanish
Dear all,
I was wondering of somebody could help me finding a suitable translation for the Spanish expression "comer con los ojos", meaning to enjoy food through your sight.

I thank you all in advance for your time,

agentbrocoli

• NealMc

UK English
    Hi

Feast for the eyes is in common use - not always food related

That paneer tikka masala is a feast for the eyes.

That firework display was a feast for the eyes.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

alexacohen

Banned
    Spanish. Spain
    Neal, your translation is absolutely right. What is not so right is the meaning the first poster gives for "comer con los ojos". This expression, as it is and without any context, in Spain means ogling (a woman).

Michinha

Galego, español
    Hello.
    Si te comes a alguien con los ojos - Somebody is like a cheese - You find him/her beautiful.
    Si comes con los ojos - You want to eat more than you can.
    i hope i helped

alexacohen

Banned
    Spanish. Spain
    Hello.
    Si te comes a alguien con los ojos - Somebody is like a cheese - You find him/her beautiful.
    Si comes con los ojos - You want to eat more than you can.
    I hope I helped

Michinha, not exactly. "Comerte a alguien con los ojos" does not mean to find her beautiful (I have yet to find a woman who ogles a man). It is not an admiring glance, but a quite disagreeable one.

Michinha

Galego, español
    I found this in google,
    “Comerse a alguien con los ojos” es una expresión que significa ‘mirar a alguien fijamente', con un interés ávido y con un cierto toque de lujuria. Aquí los ojos se han convertido en “dientes”.
    I think you have your eyes on somebody. What do you think?

alexacohen

Banned
    Spanish. Spain
    I found this in google,
    “Comerse a alguien con los ojos” es una expresión que significa ‘mirar a alguien fijamente', con un interés ávido y con un cierto toque de lujuria. Aquí los ojos se han convertido en “dientes”.

That's why I said it was not an admiring glance. It is the gance of a predator.

Where in Galicia?

Saludos desde Santiago de Compostela

Michinha

Galego, español
    But not only for a predator... or can you see a woman staring at a man, wanting him... like a predator..?
    Rianxo rools

Renaissance Woman

English USA
    Neal, your translation is absolutely right. What is not so right is the meaning the first poster gives for "comer con los ojos". This expression, as it is and without any context, in Spain means ogling (a woman).

Although not quite the same... I thought of something that was more along the "predator" type translation

He was "undressing me with his eyes"
    Me estaba desnudando con sus ojos

Michinha

Galego, español
    ‘mirar a alguien fijamente', con un interés ávido y con un cierto toque de lujuria.
    Staring at somebody with a sexual (lust?) feeling... that's why I translate it as want somebody or find somebody beautiful(no me salen los sinónimos)

agentbrocoli

Spain, Spanish
    Dear all,

Thanks for all the help, but I meant, literally "comer con los ojos", quite different from "comerse ( a alguien ) con los ojos". In Spanish "comer con los ojos" means to open your appetite by the mere act of looking at the food that is presented to you. In the same way, you may feel "full" because you have enjoyed/appreciated the meal visually, besides actually eating it.

I´ll go with Feast for the eyes, which I think is the closest to what I´m looking for.

Thanks a million,
    agentbocoli

If one were speaking of a bevy of beautiful women, one might say "he devoured them with his eyes", but it would be odd to speak of food this way. Even "a feast for the eyes" would tend to be used to speak of something other than food, as in "the beautiful garden was a feast for the eyes." I don't think it is common in English to use such terms, although you might say something like "The beautiful presentation of the dish made it a delight for the eyes (or a treat for the eyes) as well as for the palate." However, this would not be a commonly used expression that everyone would recognize.

Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    ... In Spanish "comer con los ojos" means to open your appetite by the mere act of looking at the food that is presented to you. In the same way, you may feel "full" because you have enjoyed/appreciated the meal visually, besides actually eating it.
    Well, no. If you are hungry and look at some appetizing food it may happen that "se te hace agua la boca". "Comer con los ojos" is what the other forum members explained to you. The "ogling" or perhaps "leering". Nothing to do with food.

agentbrocoli

Spain, Spanish
    Well, I am actually from Spain and pretty familiar with the expression. No problem.

For the record, "Comer con los ojos" refers to when the visual stimulation produced by food does not correspond with the real perception of the need to eat.

A clear example of this domination of the eye over the stomach capacity is when at an open buffet you serve your plate with more than you can possibly eat.

Thanks again,
    Agentbrocoli

Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    Well, I am actually from Spain and pretty familiar with the expression. No problem.

For the record, "Comer con los ojos" refers to when the visual stimulation produced by food does not correspond with the real perception of the need to eat.

A clear example of this domination of the eye over the stomach capacity is when at an open buffet you serve your plate with more than you can possibly eat.

Thanks again,
    Agentbrocoli
    Whoa! You are from Spain and really familiar with the expression! I´m soooo impressed! But then... I wonder, how come everyone else seems to understand it differently? Oh! That´s right you are from Spain and pretty familiar... No problem. I guess our record is different to yours.
    There is an English expression "to have eyes bigger than your stomach" which I believe may answer your question, but then again...

nomiffy

Basque, Spanish
    Whoa! You are from Spain and really familiar with the expression! I´m soooo impressed! But then... I wonder, how come everyone else seems to understand it differently? Oh! That´s right you are from Spain and pretty familiar... No problem. I guess our record is different to yours.
    There is an English expression "to have eyes bigger than your stomach" which I believe may answer your question, but then again...

Well, I see maybe Moritzchen is not familiar with this particular use of the expression Spanish do of "comer con los ojos". But I guess it's always good to learn new things. I'm quite familiar with the expression and found an url which I hoped would help you to understand better the other meaning agentbrocoli was talking about, but I'm not allowed to post any url as I'm a quite recent member, oooohhhh....

In case anybody in the forum is interested I invite you to "google" either "comer con los ojos" or "comer por los ojos", all together. You will find that there is a meaning related to the importance of the visual impression food has on your apetite. As my mother says, you first "comes con los ojos" and then you actually eat what you see :)