comfort level (weather)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by 1caru5, Mar 1, 2009.

1. 1caru5 Member

Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello, dear WR users,

How would you translate comfort level in regard to temperature?

Example: Temperature in Belém (a city of Brazil) is currently 28°C, and the comfort level is 32°C.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. crocodile

crocodile Senior Member

Vias, France
    Français
    Hello,

I may say "température idéale"

3. 1caru5 Member

Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Thank you for replying, crocodile. But wouldn't "température ideale" mean rather "ideal temperature"?
    Note that "comfort level temperature" is a fact, a sensation which varies according to the real temperature at the moment.

When I looked up the temperature in Belém at the moment I posted the question, it was 28°C with a 32°C comfort level. Now, as I write this reply, it is 27°C with a 30°C comfort level. Maybe I've got the meaning of "comfort level" wrong and you're right, crocodile.
    Nevertheless, I thought "comfort level" meant "real temperature sensation". For example, even if the thermometer marks 6°C, the real thermal sensation on someone's skin, as a consequence of, say, the fastly blowing wind, is of 4°C (I searched for some explanations on the web which lead me to think this way as well)

Now, what do you understand as a "temperature comfort level"?

Thank you.

4. crocodile

crocodile Senior Member

Vias, France
    Français
    Ok, I think you're right. So, when we say "it is 27°", that means "undercover". The real temperature can be less or more, according wind, rain, or sun. So, "comfort level" should be "température réelle" (because of hot wind or hot sun for instance)

Am I right ??

5. 1caru5 Member

Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Thank you again for remaining on the line, crocodile.

I took a look at some french weather forecasting websites and it seems this property of "comfort level" isn't popular at all among the french.
    I just visited the first website listed out of a google search with the entry "weather forecast" (weather(dot)com) and verified the weather for a city in France. It showed: "43°F" beneath which appeared "feels like 40°F".
    As it seems to me, the "comfort level" means just this "feels like". So I find a little awkward to use "température réelle". Maybe you french use rather an expression like "la température actuelle c'est 43°F, sous une sensation (réelle/apparente) de 40°F".

What do you think? How would you say it?

6. innosand Member

Paris
    French
    I think we say "température ressentie".

7. crocodile

crocodile Senior Member

Vias, France
    Français
    :thumbsup:

8. 1caru5 Member

Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Thank you, innosand. Your answer looks quite acceptable.