Comfort

Cony

Bogotá-Colombia, Spanish
Im interesting to know how do you say "comfort" in many languages, and if it is possible the pronounciation. Thanks.

• Arabelle

Arabic
    Hello,

'Comfort' remains the same in many languages, as you might already know. I can make a list of some languages, but can't really hlep with prononciation.

Arabic: راحة
    Dutch: Comfort
    English: Comfort
    French: Confort
    German: Komfort
    Italian: Conforto
    Portuguese: Conforto
    Spanish: Confort
    Swedish: Komfort

-- This list is in the alphabetical order, not aranged by languages families.

Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    Bengali transliterated:"Aaraam". "Aaraam kor/o/un"(depending on formality/respect) literally means "do comfort". Can be more fittingly translated as "Make yourself comfortable"/"rest"...

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Here's some general pronounciation "rules"

VOWELS
    a = apple
    e = elephant
    i = ink
    o = omnibus

Consonants

g = y in you but withought the "i" sound after the initial one (Yiou) or as w in Washington without the "ou" after the initial one

comfort (noun) meaning that something is comfortable = anessi, άνεση
    comfort (noun) as in "words of comfort" = parigoria, παρηγοριά
    comfort (noun) as in "finding comfort from the pain in.." = anakoufissi, ανακούφιση

comfort (vb) as in "comfort the widow" = parigoro, παρηγορώ
    comfort (vb) as in "the good news comforted us" = anakoufizo,ανακουφίζω

there are others too depending on the different nuances in the meaning of comfort but I think these are enough :)

Cony

Bogotá-Colombia, Spanish
    Hi, i really apreciate your answers. this is my first post and this place is amazing, thanks ireney, optimistique, diegodbs, Jhorer Brishti, elroy, Arabelle for your replys.

optimistique

Cony said:
    Im interesting to know how do you say "comfort" in many languages, and if it is possible the pronounciation. Thanks.
    well, the Dutch 'comfort' is pronounced like in French (so the '-t' is not pronounced), but no nasality (the 'm' is pronounced).

troost = troo- is pronounced like the French word 'trop' (the 'p' is not pronounced there), and well -st is just 'st'. (there is no good English equivalent for 'oo', since the English 'o' always tends to an 'a'-sound which is definitely not there in Dutch.)

steun = the 'eu' sounds like the one in the French 'peu'. There's no English equivalent either.

Rune Traverse

United States - English
    I've found two I believe in Japanese -

igokochi (E-go-co-chi)
    anki (ann-key)

Not entirely sure if they're common usage, though.

Roshini

Malaysia
    In Malay
    Comfort - Keselesaan (pronounced as ke - se-lay-saan.)
    If you're using comfortable - selesa. (alone with no suffix or affix.)
    Have fun!!

Andrutzu

Romanian - Romania
    in Romanian it's "confort", with the accent on the last syllable (on the last o).
    the Romanian for "comfortable" is "confortabil". bye!!!

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    Persian: راحتي (rahati) OR آسايش (asayesh) OR آسودگي (asudagi)
    Kurdish: ئاسايش (asayesh)
    Finnish: Lohdutus OR Mukavuus

Tisia

Maja

Serbian, Serbia
    In Serbian:

"Komfor" (Cyrillic "Комфор")
    The pronunciation is the same as in En. (though without T in the end), but the accent differs!

Pozdrav!

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Whodunit said:
    The pronunciation of the German word "Komfort" is "komfor".

The "o" as in French, the "r" at the end is pronounced like an "a" and the "t" is never pronounced in the word. :)
    Who, I'm trying to guess how I should pronunce "r" but cannot adjust my tongue to switch it with "a". Is it similar to the British pronunciation of "r" at the end of a word, please?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Cony said:
    In Polish:
    komfort
    pronunciation [komfort] it is almost same as English, but we pronunce "o" after "f" not shwa ;)

Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    panjabigator said:
    Would they say "shukh" in Bangla?
    "shukh" in Bengali/Baangla means "Bliss". Bengali seems to share the same word for comfort as the other North Indian languages mentioned here:"Aaraam". "(Tumi) Aaraam Kara/Koro" would mean "Make yourself comfortable".

apmoy70

Greek
    And then some etymology on the Greek terms:
    comfort (noun) meaning that something is comfortable = anessi, άνεση
    «Άνεση» [ˈa.ne.si] (fem.) < Classical 3rd declension deverbative fem. noun «ἄνεσις» ắnĕsis (nom. sing.), «ἀνέσεως» ănésĕōs (gen. sing.) --> loosening, relaxing < Classical athematic v. «ἀνίημι» ăníēmĭ --> to let go, release, send up, give access to, allow < prefix & preposition «ἀνά» ănắ + athematic v. «ἵημι» híēmĭ
    comfort (noun) as in "words of comfort" = parigoria, παρηγοριά
    «Παρηγοριά» [pa.ɾi.ɣɔ.ɾiˈʲa] (fem.) < Classical deverbative fem. «παρηγορίᾱ» părēgŏríā with synizesis --> consolation, emollient, remedy, assuagement < Classical v. «παρηγορέω/παρηγορῶ» părēgŏréō (uncontracted)/părēgŏrô (contracted) --> to console, comfort, appease < prefix & preposition «παρά» părắ + v. «ἀγορεύω» ăgŏreú̯ō
    comfort (noun) as in "finding comfort from the pain in.." = anakoufissi, ανακούφιση
    «Ανακούφιση» [a.naˈku.fi.si] (fem.) < Classical 3rd declension deverbative fem. noun «ἀνακούφισις» ănăkoúpʰisis (nom. sing.), «ἀνακουφίσεως» ănăkoupʰísĕōs (gen. sing.) --> relief < Classical v. «ἀνακουφίζω» ănăkoupʰízō --> to lift or raise up < prefix & preposition «ἀνά» ănắ + v. «κουφίζω» koupʰízō --> to lighten, mitigate, cancel, nullify (of unknown etymology).
    comfort (vb) as in "comfort the widow" = parigoro, παρηγορώ
    MoGr v. «παρηγορώ» [pa.ɾi.ɣɔˈɾɔ] < Classical v. «παρηγορέω/παρηγορῶ» părēgŏréō (uncontracted)/părēgŏrô (see earlier)
    comfort (vb) as in "the good news comforted us" = anakoufizo,ανακουφίζω
    MoGr v. «ανακουφίζω» [a.na.kuˈfi.zɔ] < Classical v. «ἀνακουφίζω» ănăkoupʰízō (see earlier)

nimak

Macedonian
    In Serbian:

"Komfor" (Cyrillic "Комфор")
    The pronunciation is the same as in En. (though without T in the end), but the accent differs!

Pozdrav!
    The native word in Serbian / Croatian is удобност / udobnost.

In Slovenian it is udobje.

In Macedonian it is удобност (udobnost) and удопство (udopstvo). But комфор (komfor) ['kɔmfɔr] is also used.

In Russian it is удобства (udobstva) and комфорт (komfort).

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    In Welsh:

cysur (n.m.) [KUHsseer]
    cysuro (verbal noun) [kuhSSEERoh]

I could use IPA, but I don't know what works here.

Diolch / Thanks.

< Previous | Next >