Comfortable = sexual pleasure ??!

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Happyweekend, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Happyweekend Senior Member

Canada
    Korean
    Happy Tuesday people!

I wonder in English, does the word "comfortable" refer to sexual pleasure?

For instance if a couple was having sex and the man was touching the woman, he wondered whether he was pleasuring her sexually, would he asked, "Does this feel comfortable?"

I think the word doesn't have that meaning.
    I think if someone used that, it might mean that person didn't know what he was doing ??!

What do you think?
    What does it mean to you?

Thanks so much!

2. Greyfriar

Greyfriar Senior Member

Hello,

Well, he may be a considerate lover and ask her 'does this feel comfortable?' to see if she was pleased with the way he was touching her.

Depending on how and where he was actually touching her, he might have asked the question in case it was causing any discomfort.

3. brightflame Senior Member

The word "comfortable" here is used to make sure the sensation was not uncomfortable. It is actually used quite often in this context, to get feedback and make sure both partners are comfortable. Being comfortable is very important in intimacy. It is a considerate thing to ask, as Greyfriar said.

I hope that helps.

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    It can be a way of asking "Am I hurting you?" "Comfortable" is neither pleasure nor pain.

5. Happyweekend Senior Member

Canada
    Korean
    I'm a bit confused. So the opposite of 'comfortable' uncomfortable, does NOT mean sick, or ill.

Like, if the man noticed what he was doing to the woman was causing her a bit discomfort, he could ask, "Are you uncomfortable?" to mean "Am I hurting you?".
    But if the man noticed the woman wanted to throw up and looked quite pale, and he was certain it had nothing to do with the bedroom activity, he would have to ask, "Are you sick?" (NOT uncomfortable)???

Is that right??
    Thanks again!

6. brightflame Senior Member

If someone is throwing up or sick, it is understood that they are not comfortable.

Uncomfortable can mean any lack of comfort, such as:

being cold,
    being nervous,
    feeling pain,
    feeling someone got too close to your personal space,

and also,

being stabbed with a knife

is also not comfortable, but in this case, it goes without saying.

If her discomfort was so obvious in your example, he might ask:

Are you ok?
    Are you well?
    Are you feeling alright?
    Are you sick?

But NOT Are you uncomfortable.

Being uncomfortable is a much more delicate state that is not easily noticed by others. Hence, asking for such feedback is very considerate.

7. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
    Vietnamese
    Hi brightflame. I'd like to know what you mean by "are you sick?" in the OP's example. Does it mean "are you ill?" or something else ? Thank you.

8. brightflame Senior Member

I was referring to this:
    (his example was someone showing the signs of being sick)

9. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
    Vietnamese
    Thank you, brightflame.

10. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    "Comfortable" and "uncomfortable" can refer to either physical comfort or emotional comfort.

I can say, for example: "This chair is uncomfortable." It's not pleasant to sit in. My body doesn't feel relaxed.

I can also say, "I don't like him. He makes me uncomfortable." Something about him makes me uneasy.