comfortable

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hly2004, Aug 9, 2007.

1. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    Hi, everyone:

Reliability: It's the company's data that you have on the appliance. You have tobe comfortable that the storage device is dependable.

Could tell me the idea of the bold part?

More explanation:
    I feel it is an awkward expression.
    What do you think? Could you use another way to express the idea of "comfortable" in this context?

Best wishes

2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Another way to say it would be 'you have to be sure that...' Here, 'comfortable' means not having any doubts or worries.

3. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    I see, thank you. Suehil:)

4. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    Hi, everyone:

I still cannot understand if "be sure" (which I think is absolutely correct) is ok, why the author wanted to use "comfortable". It just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Is "comfortable" an alternative of "sure" in many cases?

5. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I won't say "many", but it's used, and I think most of the people would understand it with the right context.

6. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    I think the author used 'comfortable' because he wanted to stress the comfortable feeling of freedom from doubt and worry, rather than the cold fact of 'sureness'.

7. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    You are comfortable with something if it doesn't cause you to worry. If you trust the device or believe in its reliability, you are comfortable with its dependability.

8. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I agree with bibliolept and Suehil. Decisions are often made in a company based on the probability of success, not a sure guarantee of it. Being comfortable with the decision can mean that you have no reservations, concerns, or worries about the decision but it doesn't mean the same as a certainty.

I can be comfortable with my daughter going out with a boy for the evening without being absolutely sure that nothing bad will happen. I'm comfortable because I think they will conduct themselves appropriately in whatever circumstances that arise. I couldn't sign a paper guaranteeing that nothing would happen, though. Being "comfortable" in this sense, to me, means that you have a reasonable degree of certainty that things will be fine.

9. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    I've got it, Thank you,Nichec,Suehil,Bibliolept,JamesM
    :-)