comfortable

chinese
Hi, everyone:

Reliability: It's the company's data that you have on the appliance. You have tobe comfortable that the storage device is dependable.

Could tell me the idea of the bold part?

More explanation:
I feel it is an awkward expression.
What do you think? Could you use another way to express the idea of "comfortable" in this context?

Best wishes

• chinese
    Hi, everyone:

I still cannot understand if "be sure" (which I think is absolutely correct) is ok, why the author wanted to use "comfortable". It just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Is "comfortable" an alternative of "sure" in many cases?

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi, everyone:

I still cannot understand if "be sure" (which I think is absolutely correct) is ok, why the author wanted to use "comfortable". It just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Is "comfortable" an alternative of "sure" in many cases?
    I won't say "many", but it's used, and I think most of the people would understand it with the right context.

British English
    I think the author used 'comfortable' because he wanted to stress the comfortable feeling of freedom from doubt and worry, rather than the cold fact of 'sureness'.

JamesM

I agree with bibliolept and Suehil. Decisions are often made in a company based on the probability of success, not a sure guarantee of it. Being comfortable with the decision can mean that you have no reservations, concerns, or worries about the decision but it doesn't mean the same as a certainty.

I can be comfortable with my daughter going out with a boy for the evening without being absolutely sure that nothing bad will happen. I'm comfortable because I think they will conduct themselves appropriately in whatever circumstances that arise. I couldn't sign a paper guaranteeing that nothing would happen, though. Being "comfortable" in this sense, to me, means that you have a reasonable degree of certainty that things will be fine.