comic comedian

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Detective Constable David Gadsby told the inquest there had been numerous text messages and emails between Ben and the comic but no evidence of criminal activity. The star was not questioned.

Source: Teenage boy killed himself while suffering from post traumatic stress after being seduced by TV comedian

Background: A young man committed suicide in a fit of depression a few days after a comedian whose name remains undisclosed allegedly took advantage of him sexually at a drug fueled party.

I know a comic means a comedian in this context but are they exact synonyms? Are there any situations where you would find a necessity to use one instead of the other?

• redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you very much, tepatria. I take it that there is no difference between them in reference to a comedy performer.

ewie

English English
    There's virtually no difference in meaning, I'd say, RG:thumbsup:

I can give you two examples of the words not being interchangeable, but they're both 'from my own experience', and both involve the non-literal meaning 'person who is funny' rather than the literal 'performer who tells jokes etc.'

Young Person A [unnamed]: I'd love to have been around when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne. You're about that age, aren't you, Ewie? ~ what was it like in those days?
    Ewie [dripping with sarcasm]: Oh ha ha ha, you're such a comedian. [comic]
    (Actually, I'm pretty sure other people say this too.)

Ewie [makes some feeble joke which my mother, who finds me amusing, finds funny]
    Ewie's mother: Oh Ewan, you're a comic. [comedian]
    (This one may be entirely idiosyncratic ... not sure ...)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you ewie. I don't think I'll be able to tease out the subtle difference between them, so I'll just take note of that and pay attention to which one is used in what situation.

< Previous | Next >