Coming unglued

silvicrima

Spanish, Spain
Would anybody know how to translate COMING UNGLUED into Spanish?

Is it the same as CRACKING UP?

Silvia

• blancalaw

USA, English
    Coming unglued means someone is becoming angry and can no longer mantain calm.
    Cracking up means someone is laughing so hard they can't stop.

To say coming unglued, I don't know if there is a more exact expression, but you could say "enojarse"
    Crack up = "reirse"

Perhaps a native speaker can think of a more precise idiomic expression.

jinti

silvicrima said:
    Would anybody know how to translate COMING UNGLUED into Spanish?

Is it the same as CRACKING UP?
    To me, yes, they are the same. Both expressions mean that someone is losing control (mentally) or having a nervous breakdown.

For instance, if a person seems to be undergoing a personality change, responding inappropriately to questions, wearing aluminum foil on his head to protect him from alien space transmissions, suspecting random people of conspiring against him.... I'd say he was coming unglued or he was cracking up.

A translation might be está experimentando una crisis nerviosa. (??? - I'm not sure with which Spanish verb one has one's nervous breakdowns.:D )

blancalaw

USA, English
    To me, yes, they are the same. Both expressions mean that someone is losing control (mentally) or having a nervous breakdown.
    I agree with jinti that becoming unglued would mean someone is becoming crazy due to a specific circumstance.

< Previous | Next >