comma/no comma between "the more the more"

< Previous | Next >

Peter898

Chinese
I tust themore I deepen into the more potentially interesting terms and fields willstretch from within.
OR
I trust themore I deepen into, the more potentially interesting terms and fields willstretch from within.

I think the structure should not be inserted comma. How about you ideas? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Your sentence is a bit confusing, Peter898. Did you write it yourself? If so, can you explain a bit more about what you intend it to mean, so we can give you better answers?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello peter898,

I agree with Florentia52. What you want to say is unclear, and the use of the comma depends in part on your intended meaning. In particular, there is a problem with 'deepen into' in which 'deepen' appears to be a verb, and 'fields will stretch from within'. Please explain your idea, using different words.

Everyone else should wait for your explanation, so they can be sure they are giving you the correct advice.

Peter898

Chinese
    Sorry I just come back from the lunch break. Let me add some words to clarify
    I tust the more I deepen into the fields of curriculum studies the more potentially interesting terms and other fields will stretch from within.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Thank you for the clarification. Yes, you need a comma after "studies." Your sentence has other problems, primarily the use of the verbs "deepen" and "stretch."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    How can I fix the issue of verbs?
    We don't use 'deepen' as a verb this way. I can briefly suggest a couple of possibilities in this thread.
    You could say 'delve into' or 'go more deeply into.' If you still have questions, or want to discuss this further, you should start a new thread to ask about it. :)

As for the last part of the sentence, that will take a longer discussion. Please start another thread to ask that question. When you do, explain what you want to say, using simpler words.

<Note: Further discussion of both these questions will be off-topic in this thread.>

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >