Comma Usage: Efficient in Man, Machine (comma) and Material Management

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Hello Everyone,
A line on a CV about a person abilities reads as follows: Efficient in man, machine and material management

A native English speaker (an American) said they would insert an Oxford comma after machine. If you were not allowed to change the wording, would you, especially those of you who use the Oxford comma, insert a comma there? Do you like to use the Oxford comma in such cases?

Thanks.

Emp

• Linguisticks

English - Australia
    It seems redundant to talk about comma use in a sentence which is so strangely worded: "Efficient in man management"?

Andygc

British English
    What if "man" was replaced with "people/human"?
    What has that to do with commas? In any case there is nothing odd about man management, and being efficient in it seems to be a useful capability if man mangement is part of the role. Mind you, being an effective man manager might be preferable.
    A native English speaker (an American) said they would insert an Oxford comma
    American? Then that's a Harvard comma, isn't it? I do use Oxford commas, but I would be unlikely to do so in such a simple list.

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    My apologies. I've just discovered that "man management" is, in fact, a thing. Seems rather sexist though, wouldn't you say?

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thanks, LS. Yes, it does sound like that in modern times, especially when not in proper context. The person in question works in construction. That might be a reason to give feminists.

< Previous | Next >