Comma use: genius that she is, she outwitted the computer

< Previous | Next >

Caesats

Chinese
Moderator note: this thread has been split from this other thread.

The discussion has been on a sentence taken from
dictionary.com: genius that she is, she outwitted the computer

= Being such a genius, she outwitted the computer. = Because she is such a genius, she was able to outwit the computer.
I can understand what you post,but why is the sentence separated by a comma?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Probably for the same reason your sentence does!
    As Edinburgher said, it is a noun phrase which (or that) includes a relative clause.
    And, I like commas. Some people don't. For me, it delineates the complete phrase/clause that describes "she".

Caesats

Chinese
    Probably for the same reason your sentence does!
    And, I like commas. Some people don't. For me, it delineates the complete phrase/clause that describes "she".
    I mean the original sentence that is "genius that she is,she outwitted the computer" why does it use comma here?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think your sentence falls under the construction involving apposition:
    Apposition is a construction in which two elements of the same kind, usually noun phrases, abut each other, with one element defining or modifying the other, e.g. This is my boss, Mr. Jonathan Andrews.
    genius = she

You separate the two noun phrases with a comma.

natkretep

I understand genius as a noun and that she is​ as a relative clause. So a noun phrase for me.

Caesats

Chinese
    I understand genius as a noun and that she is​ as a relative clause. So a noun phrase for me.
    My friend told me it ’s a elliptical sentence。the original construction is that “what a genius that she is”,It omit“what a” for emphasizing “genius”。 right?

natkretep

That sounds wrong to me. 'What a genius that she is' is ungrammatical. You can have an exclamative sentence 'What a genius she is!' but you would shorten it to 'What a genius!' not 'Genius that she is'.

Caesats

Chinese
    That sounds wrong to me. 'What a genius that she is' is ungrammatical. You can have an exclamative sentence 'What a genius she is!' but you would shorten it to 'What a genius!' not 'Genius that she is'.
    what ‘s that sentence on earth?can you analyze grammar about that sentence?

< Previous | Next >