comma with apposition: p53-interacting proteins, a human protein, using

< Previous | Next >

newbp

Italian - Italy
Hi all,

I'm writing a scientific report, my English level is not quite good and I'm having some doubts about the next tense:

'We searched for p53-interacting proteins, a human protein which regulates tumor growth, using a novel approach.'

Is it correct to use the commas to give extra information about p53? Because I want to give extra information about the protein p53, not about the proteins which interact with p53. Is it confusing?

Thanks in advance.

• RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    'We searched for p53-interacting proteins, a human protein which regulates tumor growth, using a novel approach.'

Correct. I think the part in bold would be called a subordinate clause.

Correct to use the extra commas.

Loob

English UK
    Hello newbp - welcome to the forums!

If you want "a human protein which regulates tumor growth" to refer to p53, then you'll need to change the wording to make that clear:

We searched for proteins interacting with p53, a human protein which regulates tumor growth, ....

-----

Cross-posted. I see I'm disagreeing with RedwoodGrove:(

newbp

Italian - Italy
    Hello newbp - welcome to the forums!

If you want "a human protein which regulates tumor growth" to refer to p53, then you'll need to change the wording to make that clear:

We searched for proteins interacting with p53, a human protein which regulates tumor growth, ....

-----

Cross-posted. I see I'm disagreeing with RedwoodGrove:(
    I think that written the way I did can be confusing, it's much more clearer that way.

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >