comma with 'which': world's highest swimming pool, which one can find

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bushio, Nov 14, 2015.

1. bushio New Member

Polish - Poland
    Hullo!

I've been having problems deciding whether or not to insert a comma in the following sentence (red):

'Not only is it the most daring undertaking of engineering to date, but it has also set a variety of different records, including the highest numbers of floors, the tallest structure ever built (curiously enough, it was Warsaw Radio Mast which had held this title until the tower of Khalifa came into play six years ago) or even the world’s highest swimming pool, which one can find as high as on the 144th floor.'

According to the guide I've found on the Internet (http://www2.ivcc.edu/rambo/eng1001/comma_rules.htm) we do not use commas when 'who' or 'which' clause identifies which ones we are talking about. But then again, in this case, the second clause might be considered to be an extra information WHILE identifying the one I mean. (which one? - the one which you can find as as on the 144th floor, BUT without this detailed information, the sentence still makes sense). So what would be the difference between the bolded phrase with and without comma?

ps: forgive all punctuation mistakes that i've made, i'm still yet to go through the entire article :)

2. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Bushio! :)

Yes, the comma is needed.

3. bushio New Member

Polish - Poland
    Thank you, Parla!

4. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo, bushio.

The portion [, which one can find as high as on the 144th floor.] is not required for the identification of the tower, which is already identified by means of the qualifier [world’s highest].

[, which one can find as high as on the 144th floor.] is indeed extra information, hence the use of a comma.

Best.

GS

5. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    I agree that the comma is needed.
    Without the comma, it would mean that there are other pools on the 144th floor, but this is the highest one.

You can find previous threads discussing the use of the comma after 'which' by clicking this link: comma relative pronoun which