commanditaire

< Previous | Next >

Ouitecheude

Hi Forum,

I'm looking for a general translation of "commanditaire" expressing the idea of the person or organisation that orders (but doesn't actually perform) something.
The ones I found on WR (sponsor or sleeping agent) sound awkward to me.

Would "contractor" or "commissioner" work in this context?

Thanks

• Manal Ghannamy

Arabic
    commanditaire = L'avis de normalisation portant sur le terme commanditaire, publié à laGazette officielle du Québec le 2 février 1991, a été retiré le 15 février 2014.Pour désigner une personne morale, l'emploi des formes masculinesun commanditaire et un parraineur est le plus courant, mais l'emploi du féminin est admis.
    Parraineur, qui fait l'objet d'une recommandation officielle en France, est surtout employé en Europe.

in this meaning sponsor will be appropriate

si c'est dans le domaine de droit commanditaire = limited partner

dans le domaine de comptabilite commanditaire = dormant partner, passive partner, silent partner, sleeping partner, limited partner

You can refer to the " le grand dictionnaire terminologique"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ouitecheude

well, there isn't a precise context, I was just wondering how to translate the idea of "commanditer" something, that is to ask/pay a third person to do something on one's behalf, which to my mind doesn't seem to be implied in the terms "sponsor" or "sleeping partner"...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You could use instigate. "He instigated the idea of selling items directly to the public."

franc 91

English - GB
    He instigated the idea - means that he came up with the idea and brought it to fruition. That doesn't really mean that he was giving orders for others to carry it out. Par contre - he is the instigator - certainly can mean that he is the person who is responsible for something happening, that others are doing it for him and it's happening at his instigation.

Dr Ralph

USA
    Français
    well, there isn't a precise context, I was just wondering how to translate the idea of "commanditer" something, that is to ask/pay a third person to do something on one's behalf, which to my mind doesn't seem to be implied in the terms "sponsor" or "sleeping partner"...
    What you describe looks a lot like a "maître d'ouvrage". Is it what you have in mind? In this case, WR proposes "client, customer".

< Previous | Next >