Comment ça se passe

verbivore

Banned
USA, English
My friend just sent me a text message with this, and I think she meant "Comment ça va." Is that what "Comment ça se passe" means?

• Ok, her French is a little rough. And she's always trying to come up with new sayings, especially now after she just spent a month in France. So, I just wanted to be sure this wasn't some new slang expression. What she sent was inaccurate then, because she would have no reason to ask me "How did it go?" I had read it as "How is it happening?" So I didn't know whether she meant "How's it going" or "What's happening?" She probably meant "Qu'est-ce qui se passe?" Thanks!

Not exactly. Comment ça va ? or Ca va ? means more or less "How are you?"

Your friend just asked you how something went down. "How did it go?"

"Comment ça se passe ?" is closer to "Comment ça va ?", but it refers to a specific situation in which the interlocutor is, like living in a new town or being in a relationship. If she wanted to ask how something went down, she would have written "Comment ça s'est passé ?". I guess "How is it going?" is a good translation for "Comment ça se passe ?".

"Comment ça se passe ?" is closer to "Comment ça va ?", but it refers to a specific situation in which the interlocutor is, like living in a new town or being in a relationship. If she wanted to ask how something went down, she would have written "Comment ça s'est passé ?". I guess "How is it going?" is a good translation for "Comment ça se passe ?".
    You're right, of course, PepinMalin. I was thinking that since it was a text message that her friend must be using the present for the past; otherwise why tap out so many letters when Comment ça va would do? But I should have stated that, and I didn't. Thanks for the précision !

Comment ça se passe... ? is also how you could colloquially ask how something is done in steps:

What's involved in opening a bank account?
    Comment ça se passe pour ouvrir un compte bancaire ?

Back