commercial esteem

< Previous | Next >

botaojia

Chinese
A high school senior said, his predilection for Harvard transcends the commercial esteem of his fourth and fifth grade self.

what does the "commercial esteem" refer to?

thank you guys.

• botaojia

Chinese
    I'm helping reviewing some applications to engineering school, but the applications are anonymous to me. I'd like to have a better understanding of the meaning this guy wants to convey. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

botaojia

Chinese
    The book's name is "College application essay" by Jan Melnik.
    It seems to me the author of the article I'm reading modified that sentence from the book and applied to himself, in his own application writing. But it is fine to me, because he did not copy another thing else. I found the source on my own.

The reason I asked that question because I'd like to have a better understanding of the meaning.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would have to see some context - perhaps the preceding sentence, but at first sight, it would appear to mean, "his value to the college."

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Source: "College application essay" by Jan Melnik.

Background and context:

This is the first of three essays written by Camila G., all for Duke University.
    She's writing about why she thinks that Duke will be a good match for her.
    She's previously mentioned that in her elementary school years, she'd expressed fervent sentiments about Duke university, though she'd known little about it. She goes on to say:

"I am now a high school senior whose predilection for Duke transcends the commercial esteem of my fourth and fifth grade self. Now, not only do I admire the intangible spirit, pride and character of the university, but also I am drawn to the boundless academic, social and extracurricular opportunities that Duke has to offer. Having aspirations to one day become a judge, I am certain that many of these opportunities, classes such as social inequality, theories of social justice and American political system, would make Duke an exceptional match for me."

But what does she mean by 'commercial esteem'?

You can read more here (ONE-HOUR COLLEGE APPLICATION ESSAY)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Thanks for the link: the preceding sentences show the "commercial aspect"
    In a “letter to myself” from my late elementary school years, I expressed fervent sentiments about Duke University. I knew little about Duke’s clubs, courses or curriculum; my interests lay in the realm of Coach K. As a little girl in Husky country, there were few who approved of my affection for Corey Maggette, Shane Battier and the Cameron Crazies. I did not mind. My allegiance was to the Blue Devils. I am now a high school senior whose predilection for Duke transcends the commercial esteem of my fourth and fifth grade self.
    In the fourth and fifth grades, she was much impressed by Coach K, Corey Maggette, Shane Battier and the Cameron Crazies. (you should search Wikipedia for these names) and the basketball team at Duke Univeristy. She compares this early enthusiasm with her present reason for wanting to go to Duke.

I think that here she is using an almost figurative meaning of "commercial":

OED
    Forming an article of general commerce. Generally implying chemical impurity, or a different quality from that which is used for scientific or medical purposes.
    i.e. "a lesser type of." as she continues, Now, not only do I admire the intangible spirit, pride and character of the university, but also I am drawn to the boundless academic, social and extracurricular opportunities that Duke has to offer.

In this essay, she is cleverly describing how her interest in Duke arose and how and why it developed as she became more mature.

so commercial esteem = a less refined type of esteem.

< Previous | Next >