commiserate

< Previous | Next >

adfgk

Hebrew
When an ex-convict says that he needs to commiserate with non-felons,
Does he mean that he needs to be associate with non-felons only? (I couldn't find such definition but otherwise I can't make sense of it)
Is it possible or is it something else?

• JamesM

Where did you see or hear this, adfjgk? Please give us a little background. "Commiserate" means to share someone's misery or pain. It doesn't make sense in the context you have given us.

adfgk

Hebrew
    In Hung Season 3 Episode 4.
    Someone is bailing her friend out of jail and she asks him "why did you ask me to do that?"
    He says: "I didn't have the money. I needed to stay someplace that had a landline so they could tack me through that ankle brace. I'm supposed to commiserate with non-felons and your'e the only one I know."

JamesM

Thanks for the background. Could it be that the character accidentally misuses words on a regular basis? There are many people who do. I don't see how "commiserate" makes sense otherwise.

JamesM

I tried looking for an online source (please don't post a link in this thread -- it's against the rules without prior permission) to listen to the episode but couldn't find one. Perhaps someone else watched the episode.

The only other interpretation I can think of is that he's being ironic. He might be saying that it's pitiful to be a non-felon and he's supposed to hang out with non-felons and share their pain for living such a boring life. It's a stretch, but it's possible. Was he smiling when he said it?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suspect it was associate - people on bail are not supposed to associate with felons.

adfgk

Hebrew
    I tried looking for an online source (please don't post a link in this thread -- it's against the rules without prior permission) to listen to the episode but couldn't find one. Perhaps someone else watched the episode.

The only other interpretation I can think of is that he's being ironic. He might be saying that it's pitiful to be a non-felon and he's supposed to hang out with non-felons and share their pain for living such a boring life. It's a stretch, but it's possible. Was he smiling when he said it?
    He is dead serious.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes, I saw the clip from "Hung" - the man does indeed say, "I'm supposed to "commiserate" with non-felons."

Solution: either the scriptwriter got it wrong or he misspoke his lines and no one noticed. (Critics of the show complain about the "thrown together" feel of the production values.) see my post #9 above.

< Previous | Next >