committed relationship

damonhill

français Bruxelles
Pouvez vous me donner la traduction de "committed relationship" en français svp, merci!

Can you give me the translation of "committed relationship" in french please, thanks!

• irish_elmo

Ireland (Hiberno-English)
    Hi guys. I would like to revive this thread.

The expression "committed relationship" is used in English to describe relationships between couples who have chosen to live together but who, for whatever reason, cannot get married or choose not to get married.

The "committed" part implies that the relationship is intended to be lasting, and depending on the context, it can also reflect backwards to imply that the relationship is not a newly formed one. It is a term of art.

Can anyone think of a succinct way of expressing this in French. The context for my query is "the legal recognition of committed relationships in Ireland".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Elmo :)

irish_elmo

Oh, I meant to mention, I've come across the following expression: "la reconnaissance légale des couples non mariés".

I think this might suffice for my purposes, but if anyone knows of a more commonly used transaltion, I would like to know what it is.

Thanks guys.

irish_elmo

Merci Moon Palace.

Si on suit le lien vers le site qui contient la définition du "concubinage", on voit qu'il s'agit seulement des couples homme-femme. Est-ce le sens normalement entendu du mot "concubinage", ou est-ce qu'on pourrait qualifier un couple lesbien de "concubines" ?

Cath.S.

français de France
    Bonsoir MP et IE, :)
    on peut aussi parler de
    reconnaissance légale de l'union libre,
    terme également employé et moins moche que celui de concubinage.
    Je n'ai jamais entendu deux femmes vivant ensemble définies comme des concubines, mais il est possible que l'administration emploie ce mot.

irish_elmo

Merci Egueule.

L'expression union libre ne me semble pas être appropriée pour traduire l'idée d'engagement qu'implique l'expression "committed relationship". L'union libre me fait penser à un "open relationship" qui est presque le contraire de "committed relationship" ! Est-ce que j'ai tort ?

Last edited:

Cath.S.

français de France
    Merci Egueule.

L'expression union libre ne me semble pas être appropriée pour traduire l'idée d'engagement qu'implique l'expression "committed relationship". L'union libre me fait penser à un "open relationship" qui est presque le contraire de "committed relationship" ! Est-ce que j'ai tort ?
    Union libre est synonyme de concubinage, la plupart des gens qui vivent en union dite libre ne le sont pas plus que les gens mariés. :D C'est simplement une expression. :)

hercules

France
    I would like to revive this thread

here is the context:
    the person opposes the single life style to commited relationships, which is synonym for "lifetime relationship" , in which the couple may be married or not.
    I had thought of "relation serieuse" but I think the meaning in English is stronger.
    What about "relation qui correspond a un veritable engagement"

Have you any other ideas ?

jlan

Eng/Fra/Deu
    I also haven't found an appropriate translation for this yet, that is neither a legal term nor a formal expression, but properly gives the idea of a committed relationship.

Relation sérieuse
    is weaker than committed relationship (it's a serious relationship, but not necessarily a committed one). It's strange, because I do not really think the French (or francophone) are really less committed to their relationships than the Anglo-Saxons (or anglophones), or are they...?

Relation engagée
    does not really pertain to the domain of romantic love.

Anyone?