commons-based peer production / user generated

< Previous | Next >

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
But what does he mean by 'commons-based peer production'?

Does anyone know?

<<< Moderator's note: This thread was split from a thread discussing another issue relating to this sentence. >>>
[....]
In his The Wealth of Networks Yochai Benkler (2006) takes a similar stance when he describes and hails the emergence of “commons-based peer production” in the new “networked information economy”. The former refers..., the latter...
[....]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Phellie

English-Australian/British
    But what does he mean by 'commons-based peer production'?

Does anyone know?
    I'm guessing it's a marketing term. I think "user generated" might make a bit more sense than "commons-based"? But that would make the following "peer" a bit redundant...

manon33

I'm guessing it's a marketing term...
    Thank you, Phellie. That explains a lot, although not the semantic meaning of the term.

What does 'user-generated' mean in a business (?) context, please?

Phellie

English-Australian/British
    It's a fairly new concept that's sprung up out of social media use.

Traditionally businesses use a website to display pre-prepared information. When the content is user generated, the website becomes a platform for customers/the public to display their own content. E.g. users rate and review a product or a company challenges their customers to create their next advertising campaign.

Must admit I'm not a marketing expert, so I might be way off the mark, but I think that's what Bobo was getting at.

manon33

It's a fairly new concept that's sprung up out of social media use.

Traditionally businesses use a website to display pre-prepared information. When the content is user generated, the website becomes a platform for customers/the public to display their own content. E.g. users rate and review a product or a company challenges their customers to create their next advertising campaign.

Must admit I'm not a marketing expert, so I might be way off the mark, but I think that's what Bobo was getting at.
    Thank you very much for the explanation. It sounds like a good way for businesses to get their customers to do their work for them for free :D

< Previous | Next >