community soup garden

redhairedgirl

italiano
Good morning, WR

I am watching this episode of the Goldbergs and I can't quite understand what Adam is referring to in this sentence: "I was just kidding. Uh, Barry actually organized a community soup... garden..."
More context: the principal has just found out Adam's brother, Barry, did no community service so he can't graduate and Adam is giving making up examples of what is brother did for the community - "...ten-K run for food, and also blood, and shoes... and comfort dogs"

What is a community soup garden?
Is it something like a community dinner made with garden vegetables?
Thank you in advance!

RHG

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What is a community soup garden?
    Is it something like a community dinner made with garden vegetables?
    No. The punctuation is important. The usual collocation is "a soup kitchen" - any place at which all types of (usually, hot) food is given out to the poor.

However, the speaker wanted to say "Barry actually organized a community soup kitchen", but (while he was speaking) he (erroneously) realised that "it was not a kitchen where the food was given out, but it was a garden - so the speaker changed his mind, over-corrected himself, and said ...garden".

redhairedgirl

italiano
    Thank you @owlman5 and @PaulQ
    yes, I am sure about the dialogue, since I have the script - so it is just something Adam invented to cover for his brother.
    I did not know about the collocation "soup kitchen" but I am pretty sure it is exactly what Adam means - in fact they lately organize a fund raising event for the poor!

< Previous | Next >