commute, commuter, commuting

< Previous | Next >

Vivemafille

English
What is the correct translation of "the commute"? For example, "The commute is too long." The online dictionaries say: 通勤; 乘 车 上 下 班 的 路 程. My students tell me no, it's
, which I think just means "car." I realize people probably express it as a verb, but I'm looking for a noun.

• Ghabi

Cantonese
    Welcome to the Forum, Vive. Your students are correct, as 車 means "car" while "車程" is literally "car-journey".

GamblingCamel

USA English
    Your students are correct, as 車 means "car" while "車程" is literally "car-journey".
    How can one make clear that the car journey is to work (definition of a commute)?
    I found on twitter 前往工作車程中. Does that work?
    By the way, what's the purpose of 中 in the sentence?

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    How can one make clear that the car journey is to work (definition of a commute)?
    Add 工作 (=work) to 車程, as in the bit you've got from Twitter
    I found on twitter 前往工作車程中. Does that work?
    Yes, kind of.
    By the way, what's the purpose of 中 in the sentence?
    中 means "inside". Here it means in the process of going to work (= on the way to work)
    For example, "The commute is too long." The online dictionaries say: 通勤; 乘 车 上 下 班 的 路 程. My students tell me no, it's 程.
    Just a bit of explanation:
    "乘 车 上 下 班 的 路 程" is the definition for the word "commute", but in a sentence, such as your example sentence, you'd need the word for "commute", which is 車程.

Last edited by a moderator:

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    What is the correct translation of "the commute"? For example, "The commute is too long." The online dictionaries say: 通勤; 乘 车 上 下 班 的 路 程. My students tell me no, it's
    , which I think just means "car." I realize people probably express it as a verb, but I'm looking for a noun.
    The dictionary gave "通勤" for "commute" because that's the term that can cover every kind of "commute", be it by boat, plane :eek:, train, car.

車程 refers to a journey by some sort of 車 (汽車, 機車, 單車, 火車), and not necessarily to work. And it is a noun, not a verb.

However, "通勤" is not as commonly used in Chinese as 車程.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    通勤, understandable to some Chinese, but rarely used. You can say "上班路程太远" or "下班路程太远”, or "上下班路程太远“。

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    commute: an act or instance of commuting, a journey made by commuting.
    journey: a traveling from one place to another; the distance traveled in a journey or the time taken to make a journey.

A 50-mile commute is too long, and so is a two-hour commute. "The commute is too long" is ambiguous. It may refer to either the "commute distance" or the "commute time". The latter is the likely candidate for people who are more concerned about the time wasted than the distance traveled.

In Taiwan, we use 通車 to refer to 每天搭車往返於住家、學校或工作場所之間 (e.g., 他每天通車上學,得花兩個小時; 上下班通車時間太長/太久啦!).It roughly corresponds to the English word "commuting", that is, regular travel between one's place of residence (住家) and place of work (工作場所) or full-time study (學校).

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    I would use 通勤 kind of as an adjective to modify other nouns, for examples, 通勤路程、通勤時間
    Or I would see it as a noun/verb that indicate the act of commuting: 通勤不是浪費時間、遠距離通勤、每天上下班都要花比別人久的時間通勤
    As a result 通勤 is the act of "commuting", so commute would be translated as 通勤 only as a verb.
    As a noun, it can be translated into 車程、路程、來往的路程、通勤時程、通勤路程、通勤時間

< Previous | Next >