commuting fare

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all,

Is "commuting fare" an idiomatic term for describing the money that people spend on public transport when commuting? For example:

Compared with Britain, the average commuting fare in South Korea is much lower.

Many thanks! :)

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The "fare" on public transport is the price you pay for the ticket. "Commuting fare" suggests that there is a special price for tickets bought by commuters.

Perhaps you mean to talk about the "cost of commuting", which might be higher than average cost of tickets because commuters are forced to travel at peak periods.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The usual term for this in BE is "season ticket". This is a ticket you pay for once a week, month or year, valid for every journey you make on that route. So it is one fare paid for a long period of commuting.

For instance, if you buy an annual season ticket from East Grinstead to London, it costs £2,648. But paying a separate fare every day would cost £13.60 a day, making £130 a week or over £6,000 a year.

So we could say the "commuting fare" is £13 a day or £6,000 a year or £2,648 a year. It all depends on how you pay it. And to compare South Korea with Britain, do you mean fare per mile or fare per passenger?

jaimehm

Spanish
    My company reimburses me the money I spend when commuting at the end of the month. How would call those expenses? commuting expenses/commuting costs?

Proudy

USA, English
    My company reimburses me the money I spend when commuting at the end of the month. How would call those expenses? commuting expenses/commuting costs?
    My company also offers support for commuting expenses, which are different from those offered for travel expenses. You would be within reason to use "commuting expenses."

jaimehm

Spanish
    What I mean, it's the money I invest in transportation from home to my workplqce that's covered by my company.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It gets a little tricky if you buy an unlimited pass card. How much of that is for commuting and how much is for personal use?

sdgraham

USA English
    We don't know where you are, but if your company does business in Spanish, I suggest you visit the Spanish/English forum here to consider a translation. :)

< Previous | Next >