Como a los hombres os cuesta menos esperar !

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Dilky Pathirana, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dilky Pathirana

Dilky Pathirana Senior Member

Sinhala - Sri Lanka
    Hola !

Favor de ayudarme al traducir esta frase al ingles

Frase completa :

Es que se que en el fondo no eres mas que un haragán y que va a ser preciso que sea yo la que busque trabajo para ti. Claro,

Saludos !

2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Maybe "..., since it's easier for you guys to wait."

3. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Presumably this is a woman speaking, and she is talking to one man (not several), right? With all due respecto to Cenzontle, I think if she says "you guys" it sounds like she's talking to several men. My suggestion would be:

"..., since it's easier for men to wait!" or "..., it's easier for men to wait around!"

4. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    I don't know if this is a Br/Am difference, but I agree with Cenzontle's version. Talking to one man, it is completely natural to say "you guys" to refer to men in general.

5. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    The problem I saw with "you guys" was that this often means simply "you plural, including any number of males or females, informally".
    It's not unusual to hear one girl address a group of her girl friends as "you guys" (I prefer to spell it "youguys").
    I underlined "guys" to suggest spoken stress on the word, which would then limit it to persons of the male category.
    I assumed the statement was addressed to one person, meaning "you and your kind, those of your gender".
    "Os" is plural, but not all members of the group need to be present to hear the message.
    Stereotyping generalizations of this kind are more common in private conversation than in formal discourse, so I thought "you guys" was more appropriate than "you men".

6. Dilky Pathirana

Dilky Pathirana Senior Member

Sinhala - Sri Lanka
    Hi

Yes she's talking to her boy friend & forcing him to go on finding a job before their marriage :)