como a mameciste perciosa [cómo amaneciste, preciosa]

< Previous | Next >

panquesito

english
Okay I'm sure this makes no sense but I'm going to ask anyway
the sentence is
buenos princesa. como amameciste preciosa!

I think I understand the gist of it but the exclamation point throws me off a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • greenie

English, USA
    amanecer - to wake up (in the morning)

So literally "How did you wake up?" However, that doesn't really make sense in English. Someone is bound to answer you "With an alarm clock." The question is better put "How are you this morning?"

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    But the original phrase doesn't have a question mark, it has an exclamation mark, so the meaning changes completely:
    como a mameciste preciosa! should be ¡Cómo amaneciste preciosa!
    You woke up beautiful/gorgeous!

Talant

But the original phrase doesn't have a question mark, it has an exclamation mark, so the meaning changes completely:
    como a mameciste preciosa! should be ¡Cómo amaneciste preciosa!
    You woke up beautiful/gorgeous!
    En ese caso la frase original sería, al menos por acá, "¡Cómo amaneciste de preciosa!". tal y como está parece faltar una coma y que "Preciosa" es un apelativo o como se llame. Básicamente, que sirve para nombrar a la mujer con la que se habla.

Aunque.... dado lo bien que se escribió la nota.... puede ser cualquier cosa.

tatis

USA
    Spanish, México
    Panquesito, panquesito, panquesito:

Bueno pues una nota así, lejos de enamorar, tal vez haga lo contrario.

"¡Buenos princesa! ¿Cómo amaneciste, preciosa?"
    "Good morning princess! How did you wake up (a way to greet you asking you how you are doing after your night sleep) gorgeous?"

"Buenos. Princesa: ¡cómo! ¿Amaneciste preciosa?"
    "Good morning. Princess, How (can this be?)! Did you wake up, gorgeous? (I thought you were dead!)

"Buenos princesa. ¿Cómo amaneciste? -¡Preciosa!"
    "Good morning princess. How are you? Gorgeous/Beautiful!

"Buenos princesa. ¡Cómo amaneciste preciosa!"
    "Good morning princess. How beautiful you look when you woke up (or something like that)"

...de seguro hay más posibilidades/ I'm sure there are other combinations.
    ¿Qué te querría decir? What could he/she have meant by that?

Last edited:

panquesito

english
    I don't really speak spanish so I'm not sure what you're saying. Something about it not being a loving comment.
    What are you asking? And what is the difference between all of the variations you have written?

Last edited:

ILT

México - Español/Castellano
    Having the whole sentence makes it much easier:
    "Buenos. princesa. como amameciste. preciosa.!"
    Good morning. Princess. How are you? Beautiful!
    Of course, as Tatis mentions the placement of punctuation marks can make the whole difference in the world.
    Como amaneciste can be understood as How are you? but also as What?! You woke up?!

panquesito

english
    Quite often periods are used instead of actual spaces because it's text messaging.

I just know it's not "Buenos princesa. ¡Cómo amaneciste preciosa!" because he hasn't seen me in 3 months and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be "Buenos. Princesa: ¡cómo! ¿Amaneciste preciosa?"

Thank you so much for your help though.
    Spelling mistakes make it almost impossible to look things up in the dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >