I eat breakfast. - Como desayuno.
I eat lunch. - Como almuerzo.
I eat dinner. - Como ceno.

But instead, I got this:

I eat bread. - Como pan.
I eat breakfast. - Como el desayuno.
I eat lunch. - Yo almuerzo.
I eat dinner. - Yo ceno

Why is that? Can I write it my way? It's more consistent and easier to remember.

Some extra info that might be relevant:
1. I'm trying to learn Argentinian Spanish.
2. I noticed it's ceno rather than cena. No idea why.

• wolfram_beta

English - American
    In your original sentences, you use the verb comer (to eat) followed by a noun for either a meal or a type of food.

The word for dinner in Spanish is "la cena." You wrote "ceno."

In your translations, the first two (eat bread, eat breakfast) follow your original format of "comer"+"noun." However, the next two are actually conjugating different verbs:

Yo almuerzo --> first person singular conjugation of almorzar (to have lunch).
    Yo ceno --> first person singular conjugation of cenar (to have dinner).

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    Wow, thank you so much! That's such a clear explanation. Everything makes sense now. I'll keep that in mind.

Yes, I typed it wrong. I meant to type cena. :)

Thanks again!

Ballenero

Spaniard
    It sounds more idiomatic:

I eat breakfast.- /Desayuno. /Yo desayuno.

I eat lunch.- /Almuerzo. /Me como el almuerzo.

I eat dinner.- /Ceno. /Me como la cena.

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    You can say "[me] como el/la desayuno/almuerzo/comida/merienda/cena", and also "[yo] desayuno/almuerzo/como/meriendo/ceno". As you can say "yo doy un salto" and "yo salto". You use it as a verb or a substantive with another verb, you can choose the structure you want. There can be a small difference however: "me como el desayuno" means "I eat what is prepared for breakfast" and "yo desayuno" means "I have breakfast", "I eat something in the morning".
    The article is mandatory in the first case ([me] como el desayuno). It's not used in "[yo] como pan", where there's no article because it's a partitive or relates to a "generic substance", while the breakfast is not, it's something specific.

Last edited:

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    It sounds more idiomatic:

I eat breakfast.- /Desayuno. /Yo desayuno.

I eat lunch.- /Almuerzo. /Me como el almuerzo.

I eat dinner.- /Ceno. /Me como la cena.
    Very sorry for the late reply. I missed the notification somehow. Thanks a lot. I like the first option you've given. Very simple and easy to remember. Desayuno, almuerzo and ceno. I like that. Thank you!

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    You can say "[me] como el/la desayuno/almuerzo/comida/merienda/cena", and also "[yo] desayuno/almuerzo/como/meriendo/ceno". As you can say "yo doy un salto" and "yo salto". You use it as a verb or a substantive with another verb, you can choose the structure you want. There can be a small difference however: "me como el desayuno" means "I eat what is prepared for breakfast" and "yo desayuno" means "I have breakfast", "I eat something in the morning".
    The article is mandatory in the first case ([me] como el desayuno). It's not used in "[yo] como pan", where there's no article because it's a partitive or relates to a "generic substance", while the breakfast is not, it's something specific.
    Wow, thanks for such a thorough reply! I am glad you pointed out the difference when using yo and me. I was wondering about that from the previous examples. Thank yo so much!

< Previous | Next >