Com'on [c'mon / come on]

Australian KOALA

Mandarin
The word "com'on" means "come on".
I've seen this expression in many lyrics and informal talks, but I can't find any definition on this website's dictionary.

Last edited:
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    The "contraction" "com'on" :confused: makes no sense and has no purpose. The normal contraction "c'mon", noted by Velisarius, makes a two-syllable phrase ("come on") shorter - it contracts that phrase into one syllable. The apostrophe in "com'on" only replaces the "e" at the end of "come", which is silent and doesn't even form a syllable, so it's not a contraction at all. "Com'on" is nonsense.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's strange really that we should use a contraction at all for "come on". Nothing is omitted when we say "c'mon" - the vowel sound is modified, as it so often is in English, but it doesn't disappear. It simply signals casual speech, as do gonna/wanna/gotta, which we all say in rapid casual speech - while not usually feeling the need to write them that way.

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    The "contraction" "com'on" :confused: makes no sense and has no purpose.
    It does... It is the transcription of an actual variant that's used in the US.

If 'c'mon' is the normal contraction (with only the 'c' and 'm' in 'come' being pronounced, with the 'm' linking with the preposition 'on'), 'com'on' reflects a different pronounciation, where the linking is made through a pause. That apostrophe indicates the linking of both words. The lack of spacing between both words. It serves the purpose of transcribing a different pronounciation of this expression.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Prosodic stress in English is very important to being understood properly. The phrase "come on" is stressed ONLY on "on", it can't be stressed on "come", and that's why it can be contracted to c'mon /kə'mɒn/ or /k'mɒn/ (in AmE usually kə'mɑn/. The first syllable ("come") can't be stressed, it can be contracted or reduced to almost nothing, so we can say or write "c'mon".
    If you mean a heavily stressed "come on!", then writing "com'on" is just misleading, because we can't see where the stress is supposed to be and it tells us nothing more than "come on". The contraction serves to reduce or omit unnecessary syllables, it doesn't give added stress. The apostrophe is not generally used to indicated a pause between syllables. I can't find any examples of "com'on" in use in a sentence on Google. I don't think we do a service to anyone on an English-language forum by saying "com'on" serves any purpose as a contracted form.

< Previous | Next >