comp pr. mark [Nepalese school leaving certificate]

< Previous | Next >
  • DocPenfro

English - British
    I doubt very much whether comp is an abbreviation of compensation. Comp appears alongside all six of the subjects listed in the table; the remaining two are opt. I suggest that these are abbreviations of compulsory and option(al) respectively. Regrettably, "PR MARK" eludes me completely.

Yuliia06

Ukrainian
    [Threads merged at this point. DonnyB - moderator]
    Hi, it appears in the Nepalese school leaving certificate, but I cannot find the meaning of it or at least abbreviation of the all words. I suppose “comp” is comprehensive, but I’m not sure.
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    If you've seen it before, why did you think 'comp' might mean 'comprehensive'? 'Compulsory' (as opposed to 'optional') makes far more sense.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Okay... Looking at the sample certificate shown in the link....

I'm fairly certain 'COMP' is compulsory: there are six subjects listed as 'comp' followed by two 'OPT' ones: the most obvious interpretation is compulsory and optional [subjects]. It's a bit difficult in my opinion to see what else that could mean.

Then if you look at paragraph 6 of the 'instructions', it refers to "obtained marks in theory and practical" which suggests to me that they're using 'TH' and 'PR' respectively for those. So my guess is that 'COMP PR MARK' must be something like an aggregate (or possibly an average) mark for the practical element of all the compulsory subjects. :)

Yuliia06

Ukrainian
    Okay, I think your answer makes sense:) However, if we look further on the page, we can see that this sentence with explaining “CP” is not finished and there are words: “INT -internal (mark)”, ‘ext - external (ext)’ and ‘tot -total’. Is it still possible to be an average mark for the practical element of all compulsory subjects? :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I'm sure Donny is right in the interpretation of the abbreviations. The compulsory subjects are obviously taken more seriously than the optional subjects.

The CP mark is, as you say, awarded by an internal examiner (INT) and an external examiner (EXT). Because the next bit says 'total' (TOT), I'm inclined to believe that the internal's and external's marks are just totalled up rather than averaged.

I'm loving that term 'grace marks', which I haven't encountered before, but I assume these are just bonus marks that the teacher or examiner wants to award to a pupil who might be at the borderline of a higher grade.

Yuliia06

Ukrainian
    Thanks a lot for help! :)
    Yes, I'm sure Donny is right in the interpretation of the abbreviations. The compulsory subjects are obviously taken more seriously than the optional subjects.

The CP mark is, as you say, awarded by an internal examiner (INT) and an external examiner (EXT). Because the next bit says 'total' (TOT), I'm inclined to believe that the internal's and external's marks are just totalled up rather than averaged.

I'm loving that term 'grace marks', which I haven't encountered before, but I assume these are just bonus marks that the teacher or examiner wants to award to a pupil who might be at the borderline of a higher grade.

< Previous | Next >