companies that complement each other

< Previous | Next >

n.portas

Galician/Spanish
Hi everyone,

I´m translating the services and work of a communication company for its website. They also talk about they way of working.
They say:
"Trabajamos en red. Contamos con un amplio grupo de empresas aliadas que nos complementan y a las que complementamos,"
My translation:
"We have built a professional network. We have a large group of partner companies, that we complememt each other."

I know that my translation is not literal. I'm trying to be brief and more direct than the original to make sound good in english. But I doubt about the final sentence "that we complement each other" I think it is incorrect, could you please suggest a solution?

• grahamcracker

English-TEXAS
    I think it is correct but the spelling and sentence construction needs smoothing out. My Spanish is not very good and I hesitate about helping you more because this is your work.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Your original suggestion is certainly wrong: you can not have two direct objects: it's either: "(partners) that we complement" or "we complement each other".

kayokid's suggestion is grammatically correct but it does not represent what is said in Spanish. kayokid's version gives the impression that the partner companies complement each other; it does not reflect that the original company is involved in the process.

You could say it this way: "We have a large group of partner companies and we complement each other" but you can not mix the two structures (the relative "that" and "each other").

kayokid

English, USA
    Your original suggestion is certainly wrong: you can not have two direct objects: it's either: "(partners) that we complement" or "we complement each other".

kayokid's suggestion is grammatically correct but it does not represent what is said in Spanish. kayokid's version gives the impression that the partner companies complement each other; it does not reflect that the original company is involved in the process.

You could say it this way: "We have a large group of partner companies and we complement each other" but you can not mix the two structures (the relative "that" and "each other").
    I, personally, don't think that 'which' necessarily limits who complements who(m) here but Peterdg's version is certainly truer to the original and leaves no doubt.

< Previous | Next >