Companywide havoc

< Previous | Next >

diaxlna

Galician & Spanish - Spain
Let me see if my guess is wright:

Is comanywide havoc something like a catastrophe in several companies?

the context is the following:

" the agreements, governmet officials say, alo avoid the type of companywide havoc seen most acutely in the case of Arthur Andersen, the accounting firm that was shuttered in 2002 after being indicted in the Enron sacandal"

So what I think is that if companies can avoid the cost of a prosecution whith the deferred prosecutions, they would't have to threw employees because of a banckrupcy... (??)

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Your post is full of spelling errors.
    Company-wide havoc is havoc within a company, but throughout the company.

In the case of AA, the actions of one part of a huge multi-national company caused severe difficulty for all of the company, around the world.

diaxlna

Galician & Spanish - Spain
    I'm not sure what you mean by "threw employees because of a bankruptcy".
    Is what my "source" says: "(...) the accounting firm that was shuttered in 2002 after being indicted in the Enron scandal. The firm's collapse threw 28.000 employees out of work" but I think I've missed the "out"

So does this “Company-wide havoc is havoc within a company, but throughout the company" mean that the problem is originated IN the company but also affects other companies?

(sorry for the mistakes and please correct any you find)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Is what my "source" says: "(...) the accounting firm that was shuttered in 2002 after being indicted in the Enron scandal. The firm's collapse threw 28.000 employees out of work" but I think I've missed the "out"

So does this “Company-wide havoc is havoc within a company, but throughout the company" mean that the problem is originated IN the company but also affects other companies?

(sorry for the mistakes and please correct any you find)
    "Company-wide havoc" means havoc within one company. In the business world, problems in one company can affect other companiess but the phrase "company-wide havoc" means in one company. There could be four companies, each with business problems so bad that havoc spreads throughout each company. As a result, each of these companies could have company-wide havoc.

You must go to the wider context to know whether the havoc in one company affected other companies. "Company-wide havoc" must not be assumed to mean that it has affected other companies because that's not what the stand-alone phrase means.

< Previous | Next >