compare him with; compare with him

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Howdy,

I read these lines:

A: What do you think of Thor's ability?
B: He rocks. But I was hoping to have someone else to compare him with.
A: There is still one more person on the list.
Is there a difference between compare him with and compare with him in this case? The former sounds a little weird to me, anyway.

• Nuclear Terrorist

Chilean Spanish
    I think the first is correct, because you "are saving" one object pronoun, if you use option number two, the result would be sth like this:

He rocks. But I was hoping to have someone else to compare him with him.

...I think that sentence doesn't sound very good. Also you don't need to use another "him" if you already have "someone".

Bye.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi, Nuclear Terrorist. I don't understand your point. My idea is that the following:

But I was hoping to have someone else to compare with him .
    sounds better than:
    But I was hoping to have someone else to compare him with.
    though they seem to mean the same thing.

Eigenfunction

England - English
    The only real difference in meaning is that compare him with means you are going to compare him with someone else, whereas compare with him means you are going to compare someone else with him. The result in both cases will be a comparison between the two. Since he is the one being discussed, compare him with sounds more natural.

Loob

English UK
    Compare him with is fine, kenny.

In the context given (presumably recruitment for a job) I think it's better than compare with him, though the difference is in practice quite small.

EDIT: In other words, I agree with Eigenfunction!

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Oh thank you very much, though I think I need some time to digest it because my brain isn't working well now. Catch you later.

< Previous | Next >