compare the greatness or magnitude of the two numbers?

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
We can use "size" to compare objects,for example, "The box is three times larger the size of that one". What word do we use to compare numbers? Can we say “compare the greatness or magnitude of the two numbers, you will find nuber A(f.g. 4/5) is greater than number B(f.g. 3/5)"?
Thanks a million!!

Last edited:
  • SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    "The box is three times larger the size of that one".
    "This box is three times larger than that one".

4 is bigger than 2.
    2 is smaller than 4.

Does it answer your question?

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you very much! But I need a noun to compare different numbers. Sorry I made a mistake. It should have been "The box is three times the size of that one".

longxianchen

chinese
    Because there is a posibility that I will ask my kids to compare two numbers using the word(somelike "greatness" or magnitude").
    For example, "we should pay attention to the __ of different numbers". No words for the blank?

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Magnitude does not work - or more correctly is inappropriate in this context. To be frank, I find it extraordinarily difficult to think of a situation where you would wish to say "We should pay attention to the size of different numbers." Numbers don't have sizes to compare, things have sizes. I suppose you could use the values of different numbers in your sentence, but even then it's a pretty odd thing to say. The point of numbers is that they are used to give dimension or quantity to things. If you don't always pay attention to the difference between 3 and 5, then numbers have no purpose. That makes the sentence nonsensical. It may have grammar and vocabulary, but it has no utility.

The problem with magnitude is that it has a specific meaning when discussing numbers. 2, 3 and 5 have the same order of magnitude. 10 is one order of magnitude greatef than 2, 3 and 5. 200, 250 and 765 are two orders of magnitude greater than 2, 3 and 5. Not the best word to use when chatting to your children about numbers.

< Previous | Next >