compare to the hundreds of major Jesuit Universities

amateurr

Russian
Could you tell me if the statement sounds correct for your ear or not? I'm particularly interested in "compare to".

"The University of Dayton is one of the three or four major Marianist Universities compare to the hundreds of major Jesuit Universities."

Thanks!

• amateurr

Russian
    "Unlike most catholic universities the University of Dayton is not a Jesuit school. It’s actually a Marianist school. Although, I can’t really remember what the difference is between a Marianist school and a Jesuit school. Other than to say, Dayton is one of three or four major Marianist Universities, compare to the hundreds of major Jesuit schools."

This segment was taken from an interview. I'm asking if the form of "compare" is used correctly in this case.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Whether "compare" or "compared", the sentence is flawed.
    It is trying to make two points in one sentence and the result does not work. It creates the strange notion of comparing Dayton with hundreds of major Jesuit schools.

As the speaker has already made it clear that Dayton is a Marianist school it is unnecessary to repeat that point. Better:
    There are only three or four major Marianist Universities, compared with the hundreds of major Jesuit schools.

(Note the change from to to with - and see compare to/with.)

I also find the random swapping between university and school confusing. But as it is spoken English, we ought not to judge too strictly.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Correct grammar would call for the use of "compared". However, the poor grammar in the quote is likely to be an accurate reflection of what the speaker actually said, as the person being interviewed does not seem to be particularly sharp. (For example, the speaker claims he does not remember the difference between a Marianist school and a Jesuit school, when the difference is that Marianist schools are run by Marianists, and Jesuit schools are run by Jesuits!)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Entirely as a matter of curiousity, I didn't read it that way.
    I assumed that the original had transcribed "compared" wrongly and that other flaws were simply a matter of the speaker being caught by the thought.
    On that basis I assumed that the difference between Marianist and Jesuit schools ran rather deeper than the difference in labels and included some kind of profound, but non-memorable, difference in theology.

< Previous | Next >