''compared to'' vs ''in relation to''

ullas84

turkish
''in relation to'' can be used to compare things. According to that explanation ;

Are there any differences between ''in relation to'' and ''compared to'' depending on context?

Eg;

a1)

The money he'd been ordered to pay was minimal in relation to his salary.

b1)

You are given a map so that you can see where your villa is in relation to the swimming pool.

İf I make these sentences with ''Compared to'' instead of ''in relation to'' , it makes me feel that new sentences are not as much idiomatic as previous ones.

Am I right or are they completely in the same meaning and interchangeable?

a2)

The money he'd been ordered to pay was minimal compared to his salary.

b2)

You are given a map so that you can see where your villa is in relation to the swimming pool.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    On idiomatic grounds I would use (a2) and (b1). :)

I don't have any great objection to "...minimal in relation to his salary" but I'm not keen on "...where your villa is compared to the swimming pool".

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Compared to" and "in relation to" have some overlap, but both have other uses. You cannot, for example, use "compared to" for a spatial relationship (the villa and the swimming pool).

lingobingo

English - England
    To compare two or more things can mean either to liken them to each other (show their similarities), or to contrast them aganst each other (show their differences), or both.

… 8% in the second quarter, compared to (= as against) 9.5% in the first quarter. :tick:
    … 8% in the second quarter, in relation to 9.5% in the first quarter. :cross:

To relate one thing to another is to make or show a connection/association/link between them, demonstrating how they affect or are relevant to each other (usually in a positive sense).

… policies must complement rather than contradict each other in relation to health equity. :tick:
    … policies must complement rather than contradict each other compared to health equity.:cross:

< Previous | Next >