Compared with all physicians

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does “Compared with all physicians“ mean ”Compared with(any one of) all physicians“? Or "Compared with the average of all physicians"?

The former appears to be unlikely because some payments are notoriously high (at least in China). But I don't understand the grammar.

A separate 2018 study in PLOS ONE by a different team of researchers found that in 2015, about half of 703 editors from 60 inBuential U.S. journals in six medical specialties received general payments from industry for activities such as consulting and travel; 22% of the 703 received payments of more than $5000. Another study in PLOS ONE found that median payments to editors in seven medical species from 2013 to 2016 were higher compared with all physicians in those specialties.

Source:Science

Medical journal editors expect authors to disclose conflicts of interest—but don’t disclose their own

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    They are comparing the median payment of each group, and the median payment would be the amount paid to an individual.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Then, shouldn't the expression "compared with all physicians" be "compared with that of all physicians"? Here, "that" would naturally refer to the "median payments" in that sentence.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree that the current version is flawed, and your version is better.

I think the idea could be expressed more clearly if the whole sentence were revised.

QuasiTriestino

American English
    "compared with that of all physicians"
    But how do you know the authors are saying that, however? They author could be saying:

1) median editor payment > median physician payment (your interpretation)

or

2) median editor payment > any physician payment in the sample.

As it stands now, the sentence doesn't tell you which one is correct and there could be other interpretations as well.

I only ask, because it would be much more impactful if the median editor salary was a higher number than any salary among the physicians. It would maybe be less shocking if they're just comparing median to median (depending, of course, on how big the gap is).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >