Comparision questions

Wesley To

Cantonese
Hi
I have got two questions and I want to make sure that I have got the right answers.
1. Y contains more water than _____(Z).
Y contains more water than Z contains.
Y contains more water than Z does.
Y contains more water than does Z.
Y contains more water than Z.

2. Y contains water more than _____(Z)
Y contains water more than the water contained by Z.
Y contains water more than that contained by Z.

Are they correct? Thank you very much.

• suzi br

English / England
    Yes, all 6.
    Can you do something to improve your numbering system? You have only used two numbers, and to be honest the words of each of them look the same!

It is hard to compare / comment on very similar sentences without individual numbers for each one.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The sentences labelled (1) are okay, but those labelled (2) are incorrect as far as I can tell. Not knowing what X and Z represent makes it more difficult.

I'd say this one is wrong too: Y contains more water than Z contains.

Wesley To

Cantonese
    Thank you very much for your comments. I try to rewrite my question.
    I have got two 'open-ended' questions. I can fill in anything as long as the sentences are grammatical, and sound logical and,as far as possible, natural. So, I wrote a to f. I would like to know to what extent they meet the requirements mentioned above. In addition, as you can see there is a slight difference between the two questions, I would also like to know if there are any nuances of meaning between 'contains more water than' and 'contains water more than'.

1. Pool Y contains more water than _____(Pool Z).
    a. Pool Y contains more water than Pool Z contains. (I thought this is okay)
    b. Pool Y contains more water than Pool Z does. (I think this is okay)
    c. Pool Y contains more water than does Pool Z. (Is inversion okay here?)
    d. Pool Y contains more water than Pool Z. (I think this is okay)

2. Pool Y contains water more than _____(Pool Z)
    e. Pool Y contains water more than the water contained by Pool Z. (I was told to write this way given the sentence structure but it seems kind of clumsy)
    f. Pool Y contains water more than that contained by Pool Z. (I guess this is okay if e is okay)

< Previous | Next >