compel vs enforce

< Previous | Next >

cenker

turkish
Hi,
I want to learn the difference between "compel" and "enforce".

if someone gives examples, I will be so glad.

Thank you!

• heypresto

English - England
    Where have you seen these? What were the complete sentences, and in what context?

Do you have a complete sentence, and some context, in mind in which you'd like to use one of these?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    If you look up both compel and enforce in Lexico (Oxford Dictionaries) you'll see the definitions, with links to 'More example sentences' showing you how both words are used.

You're welcome to ask us a specific question about any of the examples you find. :)

cenker

turkish
    thank you @DonnyB and @Packard
    I have an example about history and I wonder which verb I have to use. I'm confused.

The League of Nations established in Geneva in 1920, included representatives from states throughout the world, but was severely weakened by the US decision not to become a member, and had no power to compel/enforce its decision.

Packard

USA, English
    thank you @DonnyB and @Packard
    I have an example about history and I wonder which verb I have to use. I'm confused.

The League of Nations established in Geneva in 1920, included representatives from states throughout the world, but was severely weakened by the US decision not to become a member, and had no power to compel/enforce its decision.
    If you "compel" a decision you are demanding that a decision be made. You can compel behavior based on a decision, but you cannot compel a decision in this case.

Myridon

English - US
    You may have noticed that Packard suggested a thread on "compel" vs "force." "Compel" is similar in meaning to "force" but it is not similar in meaning to "enforce."
    I will compel you to answer the question. :tick:
    I will force you to answer the question. :tick:
    I will enforce you to answer the question. :cross:
    I will enforce my will upon you by forcing you to answer the question. :tick:;)

< Previous | Next >