compensate for the poor performances of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by marcbatco, Jul 12, 2018.

1. marcbatco Senior Member

Italian-Italy
    Hi, I would please ask you if the expression in bold is correct in the following:
    The diversified nature of the sector (i.e. the wide range of covered business areas) allows to compensate for the poor performances of some areas with the strong results of others.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    We'd be more likely to use the singular "performance," but "allows to compensate" isn't right. "Allows" doesn't go well with an infinitive after it.

3. marcbatco Senior Member

Italian-Italy
    Hi The Newt, and thank you for your suggestions. Therefore, either you add someone after allows, or you use a different verb such as enables to compensate, is it correct?

4. Orble

Orble Senior Member

Hobart Tasmania
    Australian English
    Hi marcbatco,
    We need context please. Where did you see this sentence? What sector?
    Did you make this up yourself? To English speakers there is something missing and we need context to know what it is.
    Thank you.

5. marcbatco Senior Member

Italian-Italy
    Hi Orble, and thank you for your reply. I made up the sentence myself. It is the financial sector.

6. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    "Enables to compensate" has the same problem. You would need an object after "enables."

7. Orble

Orble Senior Member

Hobart Tasmania
    Australian English
    The object is there, but the sentence is not organised in a way that uses it properly. It might be intended to say,

The diversified nature of the sector (i.e. the wide range of covered business areas) allows areas with strong results to compensate for the poor performances of other areas.​