How do you express competition ratio?

For example,
"The exam competition was quite high. its ratio was 40:1 "
How would do you say '40:1' in English?

Thanks.

• brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    We say "Forty to one".

(But I don't understand what you mean by 'exam competition', or how it can be a ratio.)
    Thank you for your reply.
    Can I ask two further please?

1. I have seen somebody expressing 40:1 as "one out of forty"
    Does it incorrect expression?

2. what do you say in English if the term 'exam competition' is incorrect?
    I tried to express "competition in the exam." Just can I say "competition in the exam"?

Thanks, for your reply in advance.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you for your reply.
    Can I ask three further please?

1. I have seen somebody expressing 40:1 as "one out of forty"
    Does it incorrect expression?:cross:
    Is it a correct expression?:tick: Mathematically they are (close to) the same but 40:1 is read as forty to one.
    2. what do you say in English if the term 'exam competition' is incorrect?
    I tried to express "competition in the exam." Just can I say "competition in the exam"?
    What do you mean by this - we don't understand it. There are 40 people taking the exam and only one will pass? Or the top person out of the 40 gets the job? Please explain.
    3. when you say 'competition', don't you say it ratio? :confused:

Thanks, for your reply in advance.
    If we understood 2 we might be able to help:)

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Is it a correct expression?:tick: Mathematically they are (close to) the same but 40:1 is read as forty to one.
    What do you mean by this - we don't understand it. There are 40 people taking the exam and only one will pass? Or the top person out of the 40 gets the job? Please explain.
    First thanks for your help offer. :)
    =>Yes, there are 40 people taking the exam and only one will pass, which is the thing that I tried to express either as exam competition or competition in the exam.

e.g; the number of people who actually pass the exam is 10, while the applicants who prepare for the exam is 400, then, the competition is called 40: 1, I think. These are the things that I want to express. That's why I tried to express it as 'competition ratio' etc, although it might be wrong.

If we understood 2 we might be able to help:)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Are you saying that every time, there are only 1 in 40 who are awarded a "pass" regardless of how well the others do? I've never come across this way of running an exam: the number who pass is usually determined by how well each person does, rather than a predetermined proportion passing. So I have no idea how to answer your question :( If it's typically 1 in 40, I'd call it a tough exam ( :eek: )

< Previous | Next >