Complain about someone to someone

< Previous | Next >

Ermaks

Argentina,Español
Hi there

I have been quite looking for the meaning of this idiomatic phrase, yet with no results. it comes from a chapter on Friends where Chandles says:

"I'm gonna be dating leather-wearing alcoholics and complaining about them to you'."

What does it mean?

Thanks in Advance

• JillN

USA - English
    I don't know why you say it's an idiomatic phrase.

It just means that Chandler will be complaining to the listener about the leather-wearing alcoholics he is dating some time in the future.

What episode is that?

Ermaks

Argentina,Español
    I don't know why you say it's an idiomatic phrase.

It just means that Chandler will be complaining to the listener about the leather-wearing alcoholics he is dating some time in the future.

What episode is that?
    There's a comma I forgot to insert between "them" and "to" so:

"I'm gonna be dating leather-wearing alcoholics and complaining about them, to 'you."

and you is "stressed".

So it changes the meaning? It is on chapter three of season 1. Something happens there: it looks as if Chandler had commited a mistake saying "about them" and so he corrects himself by saying "to you",yet it doesn't make sense.
    EDIT-------------

http://one-tv.net/tv/links/show/friends/season/1/episode/3/the-one-with-the-thumb/

Last edited by a moderator:

JillN

USA - English
    OK, with more context now I understand it better. They're interpreting what people say into what they really mean. He's saying that when a woman says "You're a nice guy," what she is really saying is that she is going to date horrible people and then come crying to him because he's so nice, but she will NOT date a nice guy.

The comma makes no difference in the meaning, and stressing "to you" is just stressing that the woman will not date a nice guy.

Ermaks

Argentina,Español
    OK, with more context now I understand it better. They're interpreting what people say into what they really mean. He's saying that when a woman says "You're a nice guy," what she is really saying is that she is going to date horrible people and then come crying to him because he's so nice, but she will NOT date a nice guy.

The comma makes no difference in the meaning, and stressing "to you" is just stressing that the woman will not date a nice guy.

Ahh, I see. Then "to you" is like a comparison between the horrible guys and the nice guy?

JillN

USA - English
    Right. The horrible guys are the ones the women date, and the nice guys are the ones that have to listen to the women complain about the horrible guys.

Ermaks

Argentina,Español
    Right. The horrible guys are the ones the women date, and the nice guys are the ones that have to listen to the women complain about the horrible guys.

Right! Now I definitely see it.I read it and it makes sense at all.But let me ask you something.As you have seen that chapter: Why Chandler closes his eyes when saying "to you" as though he had kind of commited a mistake( in the script)?. It's like for a moment he had FORGOTTEN what to say, and that's why the pause before "to you".Despite this, this chapter was released with that issue. Is it a mistake or does it have a meaning there?

Ernesto

JillN

USA - English
    I don't think there's any meaning. It's just Chandler being Chandler. You know how he is always a little over-dramatic and emphasizes words strangely. It's just part of the character. Could he *BE* any funnier?

< Previous | Next >