Complain for no reason

< Previous | Next >

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if the expression "complain for no reason" sounds idiomatic/natural in the contexts below. If not, what would you suggest? Please take a look.

Context 1:

"Jake, you're complaining for no reason. I brought you the book you asked, prepared lunch, and I'll give you money for you to go to the movies with your friends. You have everything you want. You have no reason to complain.''

Context 2:

"We(human beings), often complain for no reason. God gave us everything we need in order to have a good life but we simple don't recognize it.''

Complain for no reason definition: complain when there's no reason to complain, complain when you have many good things to use, do, etc.

Thank you in advance!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Addressing only paragraph #1: The first sentence doesn't sound natural to me. I think we'd more likely say, What are you complaining about? OR Why are you complaining?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    They both sound OK to me .

Jake, you're complaining for no good reason.
    Jake, you are complaining for the sake of complaining...
    Jake, you are just complaining, ...

"We(human beings), often complain for no reason.
    "We(human beings), often complain without cause.
    "We(human beings), often complain for the sake of it.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Jake, you're complaining for no reason.
    Whereas this is perfectly good English, it sounds rather stiff for casual conversation, at least to me.

Casual comments might range from "You've got no complaint" to "Quit your bitching."

Loob

English UK
    The second sentence sounds perfect to me. As regards the first, I'd be more likely to say something like "Stop moaning, Jake!" or "Jake, could you please just stop moaning?".

George French

English - UK
    The version I know in UK-EN is "I/you have no reason to complain". A search on the web indicates that it is in relatively common use in UK-English

GF..

< Previous | Next >