complain of/from

< Previous | Next >

nitavictoria

spanish, catalan
Hi people there!!
If anyone could give a hand with the proper use of prepositions following a verb. I'd be so grateful! I'm not referring on phasal verbs which is complicated enough..
I have no idea if there's some grammar rule when using the verb "complain" and which preposition should be correct after this verb. I mean, if I complain "from" or "of" a pain or backache or a sore feet. Could someone help me about this?
Thank in advanced whoever can help me,
Regards,
Nita V. (somewhat desperate student)

• spb

English
    If it is 'I' then you should say 'I suffer from a pain...' etc. Other people can 'complain of', but not 'complain from'.

I don't even know what a phasal verb is, so I can't help you more than that! :)

Loob

English UK
    Hi Nita

It's 'complain of' + a medical condition.

I found a previous thread containing this useful link by inputting complain of into Dictionary Look-up at the top of the page.

nitavictoria

spanish, catalan
    Hi to you all "seniors" and thanks you all for your quick reply!!
    You've clear me up my doubt on the question I'asked for. I'm going to look up what you kind recommended. Very useful!
    Regards,
    Nita, a very junior student

Thomas Veil

English - USA
    Keep in mind that in a medical context, "complain" does not mean the same thing as normally. "This patient arrived complaining of a headache" simply means that the patient had a headache.

< Previous | Next >