complain or complaining

< Previous | Next >

SRPGgamer

Chinese
Guys please help me take a look at the followings and tell me which is grammatically correct.

"You know,there are lots of americans who are either working or teaching in china,complain that the great firewall of China"

You know,there are lots of americans who are either working or teaching in china,complaining that the great firewall of China"

complain or complaining?

• JamesM

Neither is a complete sentence as written, SRPGgamer.

I suspect you want:

"You know, there are lots of Americans who are either working or teaching in China, complaining about the great firewall of China."

(please note capitalization on Americans and China)

If the sentence continues after "...firewall of China...", "complaining that" would be the correct choice.

SRPGgamer

Chinese
    JamesM:Thanks for your advice, and I will surely take note. By the way, would you mind telling me that what is the word "complaining" worked as here? I mean, Is it worked as a "gerund" or "participle" ?

I would really appreciate if you could help me :)

JamesM

I'm not very accomplished in grammar, but I would say that it was a present participle as part of the present continuous, functioning in exactly the same way as "working" and "teaching" earlier in the sentence.

The sentence has the same meaning as:

You know,there are lots of Americans who are either working or teaching in China, and who are complaining about the great firewall of China."

As a side note, having worked until recently on the Information Technology aspects of international freight forwarding for many years, I can say that it's not only the Americans in China who are complaining about this problem. :) Those of us trying to communicate with factories and forwarding agents from outside the country run into the same problem regularly.

SRPGgamer

Chinese
    JamesM:Indeed,we all are suffering from it :), and lastly, would you be more generous enough to answer my last question? On the related subject, I would like to ask one more question about it, as in your last sentence " Those of us trying to communicate XXXXXXX" <-- Is "trying" you used here, worked as a particple as well ? Or you have omitted the relative pronoun "who is" ?

Anyway,your answer really helps me a lot, thanks !

< Previous | Next >