complement each other

Nightfire

Ciao a tutti,

I am trying to think of the correct way to translate into italian the idea of two things complementing each other. I haven't used such a verb in italian before but having checked on wordreference.com the most suitable verbs would appear to be either the reflexive verb integrarsi or perhaps completarsi. My sentence in english is
" ...although it is true to say that these two types of medicine can be seen as alternatives available to the patient, there is also an argument to suggest that that they complement each other".

Il mio tentativo : ... anche se è vero dire che questi due tipi di medicine possono considerati essere alternativi disponibile al paziente, esiste anche una discussione suggerire che si integrino". I have used the subjunctive at the end of the sentence as I am just suggesting that something might be true.

Mille grazie in anticipo.

• Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, Night.

" ...although it is true to say that these two types of medicine can be seen as alternatives available to the patient, there is also an argument to suggest that that they complement each other".

" ... anche se è vero dire che questi due tipi di farmaci possono essere considerati alternative a disposizione del paziente, c'è anche chi sostiene che essi possano combinarsi bene ".

" ... anche se è corretto dire che questi due tipi di farmaci possono essere considerati alternative a disposizione del paziente, c'è anche chi sostiene che essi possano combinarsi bene ".

Saluti.

GS

Alessandrino

Italiano
    Another solution:

Sebbene sia vero che questi due tipi di medicine/farmaci possano essere considerate come alternative a disposizione del paziente, ci sono anche argomentazioni tese a suggerire che siano in realtà complementari.

Now, what I'm wondering is: what do you mean by medicine? Are you talking of two different disciplines, or two different drugs?

EDIT: Pat mi ha preceduto.

Nightfire

Grazie mille a Giorgio Spizzi, Pat e Alessandrino!

Yes, a good question regarding what types of medicine are involved. In this case I am writing an essay in italian in which I wish to discuss the merits of conventional medicine as opposed to "alternative medicine" such as acupuncture or homeothapy.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Nightfire.

Alessandrino

Italiano
    Grazie mille a Giorgio Spizzi, Pat e Alessandrino!

Yes, a good question regarding what types of medicine are involved. In this case I am writing an essay in italian in which I wish to discuss the merits of conventional medicine as opposed to "alternative medicine" such as acupuncture or homeothapy.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Nightfire.
    Splendid! So if you want to use Giorgio's sentence, you should change farmaci with medicine. Otherwise the meaning is entirely different.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Ciao, Pat,

d'accordissimo sulla tua proposta.

Ciao, Ale: "Otherwise the meaning is entirely different." Eccome! Mi sembra di essere Mary Poppins.

GS :)

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    Ciao a tutti :)
    Più che 2 tipi di farmaci, mi sembra si tratti di 2 tipi di cure. Quindi (secondo me) la cura farmaceutica può benissimo essere abbinata ad un rimedio omeopatico o ad una cura alternativa.

Pat (√2)

Italiano
    Ciao a tutti :)

Visto che si tratta di medicina convenzionale e di medicina alternativa, parlerei di due tipi di medicina. Una versione semplificata (?):
    - Benché sia corretto considerare questi due tipi di medicina come alternative a disposizione del paziente, ci sono ragioni per sostenere che possano essere complementari.

EDIT
    Oh, grazie :eek:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >